Moog Ball Joint Fitting Problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moog Ball Joint Fitting Problems

Looks like you got the older design 1 piece unit.. I just got the same from Rock Auto and mine is a 1 piece with pressed in balljoints instead of molded in ones...

The one in this picture is the new 1 piece design from moog, I went this route instead of the 2 piece as my bushings were shot...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The one in this picture is the new 1 piece design from moog, I went this route instead of the 2 piece as my bushings were shot...
Your misunderstanding me .. My upper control arms are a single piece like in the pics but it has removable balljoints instead of having them molded in ..

Your misunderstanding me .. My upper control arms are a single piece like in the pics but it has removable balljoints instead of having them molded in ..

Opps sorry I misunderstood what you meant I now know what you meant haha

Me too! I was reluctant to drop the mini sledge onto the UCA, 1 firm blow and a couple of good taps.

Dont worry I am having a good ol time on the driver side lower ball joint getting it free from the knuckle here is where I am at with the driver side but I should have everything back together by the end of the night or tomorrow

FC7D8A4C-6BF6-4E3A-AD50-75631CC0D14B_zpszlhu2uri.jpg

Me too! I was reluctant to drop the mini sledge onto the UCA, 1 firm blow and a couple of good taps.

As someone's signature here says (Turtle??) "if you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem..."

I get the stoopid diy'er of the day award! I had the upper control arm too tight to let it move free enough to go in the knuckle.....Ooopppps

THANKS for al the helpful replies!

How did your alignment go? Mine went alright the passenger side they got as close as they could to specs but not perfect

It was only about 1.5* off on passenger and .7* off on the drivers, drives straight and true steering wheel is pretty much centered. Front end is much quieter and the outer tie rod ends really tightened up the steering. Very pleased with the results and keeping $700 for my efforts makes it very worthwhile.

I still have a small roar type sound from the front driver side, tires or bearings I guess, wheel seems too solid to be a bearing. I'll rotate the tires and see if I need to check the bearing.

Now to fix that wonderful parking brake!

How did your alignment go? Mine went alright the passenger side they got as close as they could to specs but not perfect

I hear you there my passenger side was 5.3 and my driver side was same as yours .7 steering wheel is almost straight and really kind of drives me nuts because it is off just a little but my front end is very stiff and newish feeling and sits up way more than before!! But right now I am in the process of installing rear air shocks to hopefully level mine out more than ever now seeings how I have 5 inches of clearance in the front and with the old shocks 2.5" on the rear hopefully all this will help :) but glad to hear your happy with the outcome

It was only about 1.5* off on passenger and .7* off on the drivers, drives straight and true steering wheel is pretty much centered. Front end is much quieter and the outer tie rod ends really tightened up the steering. Very pleased with the results and keeping $700 for my efforts makes it very worthwhile.

I still have a small roar type sound from the front driver side, tires or bearings I guess, wheel seems too solid to be a bearing. I'll rotate the tires and see if I need to check the bearing.

Now to fix that wonderful parking brake!

I hear you there my passenger side was 5.3 and my driver side was same as yours .7 steering wheel is almost straight and really kind of drives me nuts because it is off just a little but my front end is very stiff and newish feeling and sits up way more than before!! But right now I am in the process of installing rear air shocks to hopefully level mine out more than ever now seeings how I have 5 inches of clearance in the front and with the old shocks 2.5" on the rear hopefully all this will help :) but glad to hear your happy with the outcome

Your steering wheel being off is not an alignment problem. It's a poor outer tie-rod end adjustment by the technician. Go back and make him fix it.

Agreed on the newish feeling, we got this one w/130K on it and now at 240K the front end never felt better. Sounds like you might have an issue with your leaf springs if you've lost travel on the rear, you might want to make sure you're not just putting a band aid on it. I've gotta to shock soon as well.

+1 on getting the shop to get it right!

Your steering wheel being off is not an alignment problem. It's a poor outer tie-rod end adjustment by the technician. Go back and make him fix it.

Yeah I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they can get it in to fix it. It's just a little off and drives me nuts! Other than that can't complain it drives straight and when I brake it stops straight can't ask for anything better :D

I called ford and they told me that the original 2 piece was modified to 1 piece. suggestion, get your vin # and call moog, live chat can not do that but it was confirmed that 1 piece will fit, hope so cause thats what i ordered both upper arms with ball joints and 2 lowers ball joints while im at it....

Back