• Register Today It's free!

Moog Ball Joints

Buds007

Reaction score
City, State
Provo, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 4 door
I have to replace my ball joints, and am thinking about going with moog. My question here is that I keep on hearing that they will give me more suspension travel, or something to that effect. If someone could confirm this, that would be great. I guess I am just trying to figure out why I should go with moog, instead of some other cheap ones. If they benefit me offroad in anyway, no matter how small, they are mine:D. Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reason # 1: The price difference between the Moog and the cheaper ones isn't that much. My Moog lower ball joints were only $10 more than the off-brand ones that I found elsewhere.

Reason # 2: They are a PITA to put in. You don't want to have to replace a cheaper ball joint in another year or two because you cheaped out. The Moogs will last.

The increased suspension that the upper control arm/ball joint that Moog sells only happens if your suspension has already been modifed for increased travel. Basically what it does is it allows an extra 10 degrees of rotation over the stock ball joint. On a stock suspension, the length of the front shock is the limiting factor in droop whereas the bump stops are the limiting factor in rise. In a situation like this, having the extra 10 degrees won't get utilized. Now if you have slightly longer shocks and your stock ball joint is limiting the suspension, then the Moogs should allow a little more travel. Regardless though, Moog builds good quality stuff.

Thanks for the supply. Is 260 for the ball joints and the control arm assembly good. Also, a local shop quoted just the labor and installation at 380 for all of it. Is that good.

If $280 is for both then it is pretty close to what I was quoted at CarQuest. The guy told me $120 something apiece. The other brand that I found they were about $90 each but I didn't recognize the manufacturer. $380 labor is probably about average as long as it includes the front end alignment. You will need one once the new control arms are put in. I haven't replaced my upper ones yet but I did do my lower ones. The lower ones took me about 5 or 6 hours to do both sides. I had to improvise quite a bit to get the new ones pressed into my lower control arms. That was the hardest part of the whole job. A proper ball joint press would have cut probably two hours out of my job. The upper ones should be easier since the ball joints are part of the control arm. Just two bolts where the control arms meet the frame, one bolt on the spindle at the bottom of the ball joint. Use a pickel fork to pry the old ball joint out of the spindle. Put all the new parts back in and get it aligned. I would guess about four hours of labor for both sides. So, at $380, if the shop was going to di it in 4 hours they are charging $70 an hour with an extra $100 for the alignment. Ford book time is 4.6 hours of labor to replace both upper ball joints. Ask the shop what their labor rate is. For what they are charging, either they plan on using more labor to change them or they charge a higher rate than Ford.

Why buy Moog? They make the best suspension parts!

Moog is excellent. I am going to upgrade my upper arms with those Moog arms to get the most out of my RCD kit.

--Sean

you wont be disapointed.... by the way truck looks great with that rcd kit.

Back