Moog rear swaybar link question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moog rear swaybar link question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not tried those, but I recently decided to do my rear links and bar bushings and decided to get the ES 4.5153G bushing kit instead, reusing the factory link (metal), because it includes the far less common bar bushings, because the ES kit is very dense polyurethane which should firm up the sway bar movement some, and because Moog doesn't seem to be making very good bushings in recent years. Chinese rubber... often stinks in more ways than one.

However I don't know if an '02 Sport Trac uses a 19mm diameter rear bar, or if the mounts are the same. ES' fitment list is little help, they don't list my '98 while I know this fits it.

4.5153 | Rear Sway Bar-Endlink Bushings - 19 mm | Ford Explorer

I caught this set on sale a couple weeks ago for a very reasonable $11, but in B.C? No idea.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CN79HW

Of course the catch with the bushing kit is getting the old bushings out and numerous people have stated they seem to have the bushings bonded to the metal so it takes a good sized press to get them out, or heating up the metal with a torch to melt them out, or saw or drill them out, then since the ES bushings are two piece, no press is needed to get the new ones in.

Here's a seller in the US with one of the Ford OEM part # links (listed on the Moog info on Rock Auto which I can only assume is correct) for $21:
Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Kit Ford OEM 4L2Z5K484AA for sale online | eBay

If forced to choose a whole link from what's on Rock Auto, I'd get the ACDelco Pro 45G0465 but I don't know if they're any better than the Moog.

However you asked about quiet and squeaking. The polyurethane is usually a louder, squeakier bushing material that needs greased to stay quiet. The quietest would be rubber, black color due to the carbon in it, then the other rubbers such as blue.

Thanks very much! I ended up ordering the Ac delco ones.

This is for my 2002 sport trac but same for the explorers up to 2001 thanks

2002 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0L V6 Stabilizer Bar Link | RockAuto

The Moog K80788

The end link bushing kits are the same for your '02 Sport Trac and up to '01 Explorers but the rear end links themselves are a different part #. It looks very similar in the pics but probably a different length. Moog lists theirs as 262.5mm for yours while 2nd gen Explorer is 242.0mm.

For example the Moog rear link part # for yours is K80788, but for 2nd gen Explorers it's K80139. Other brands also show different part numbers.

Yes my thread is for my 2nd gen it is a basic guide for a general direction
Thanks @J_C for the clarification :chug:

Ya I put the mevotech ones in my dads 2001 sport and they are a bit shorter. Pretty much exactly the same design.
Thanks for your input everyone.

Back