Moon roof will open, but not close | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moon roof will open, but not close

celticchrys

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello everyone,
On my 2004 Sport Trac, the moon roof has developed a problem where it will open but not close. It got stuck open, and would open further, but not close. I took down the overhead console and manually cranked it shut. It would once more open, but not close again with the switch. Repeatedly.

I know power is going to the switch, because it will open with it. When I press the other side of the switch, to close the moon roof, I hear a click, but the moon roof doesn't move. So, I think this means it's not a fuse problem. Do you all think it's a problem with the switch, or something else?

Thanks.

Sounds like a problem with the switch. You have power, there's only one motor and you know the motor works to open it. There's no reason the motor shouldn't run in the opposite direction. The way these motors open or close is to simply reverse polarity on the power and ground wires. One way the motor moves to open the other way it will move to close. If you can get at the 2 wires going to the motor, you should be able to test bypassing the switch. I have found that most times the on reversible motors (like convertible top and window motors) the wires going to the motor are red and yellow in color. Sending 12V power to one and grounding the other should make the motor run.

Ditto, hopefully it's the switch.

While you are working on it, spend some time and clean what you can reach of the parts along the sides of the sunroof, and lubricate it. I had my 91 Lincoln sunroof moving very slow when I had just bought it, in 2001. I avoided using for that, but mainly because it would not park even with the roof. I finally spent time with a couple of rags and some WD40 to work around the sides, and a little PB Blaster and White Lithium too. Be sure if you do that don't spray anything up above the open sunroof. That's a maintenance item people should do every ten years or so. Good luck,

Back