moonroof auto close | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

moonroof auto close

londo M.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer limited
Several months ago my alternator seized. After I got it back i found the fuse for the moon roof was blown, fixed it then found out the hard way that the auto close did not work. The buttons still have power after the motor is off and the door is opened. So where is this controlled from? another fuse, a module somewhere?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your concern that the moonroof won't close or that the control buttons have power after the vehicle is shut off? I'm not sure what you are referring to in regards to "the auto close did not work"? There is no "auto close" for the moonroof if that is what you are talking about. As for power to the buttons, there is a delay in shutting down all power after the vehicle is turned off, so that would be normal.

Peter

Is your concern that the moonroof won't close or that the control buttons have power after the vehicle is shut off? I'm not sure what you are referring to in regards to "the auto close did not work"? There is no "auto close" for the moonroof if that is what you are talking about. As for power to the buttons, there is a delay in shutting down all power after the vehicle is turned off, so that would be normal.

Peter
I have always had auto close. I bought it in august 2013. Weather it was just vent or completely open when I shut it off and open the door the roof would auto close.

Mine has never autoclosed in the 9 years we had it. To my knowledge this was never a feature of the 5th gen.

I have always had auto close. I bought it in august 2013. Weather it was just vent or completely open when I shut it off and open the door the roof would auto close.
Like blwnsmoke, my 2011 Limited, never auto closed. Neither did the one on my 2014 MKT and 2017 Platinum. There is nothing in your Manual that saying it will auto close. Bottom line seems to be that it is now operating as intended.

Peter

Weather finally warmed up for me to investigate my moonroof issue. I assumed it was a factory moonroof. It was/is not. I thought being a limited it was standard. It was not. It is a signature brand. Oh well. I did find out just by pulling the fuse will make it auto-close but hitting the button is easier.

Weather finally warmed up for me to investigate my moonroof issue. I assumed it was a factory moonroof. It was/is not. I thought being a limited it was standard. It was not. It is a signature brand. Oh well. I did find out just by pulling the fuse will make it auto-close but hitting the button is easier.
Being a Limited, I'd be very surprised that if it wasn't an OEM moonroof. My 2011 Limited came with the moonroof.
If your moonroof does in fact close by itself when you open the door then perhaps that is your problem since your vehicle doesn't have it. None of the 5th or 6th gen Explorers have that feature. In fact, you shouldn't want it to close if you wanted to let it vent or cool on a hot day

Peter

Being a Limited, I'd be very surprised that if it wasn't an OEM moonroof. My 2011 Limited came with the moonroof.
If your moonroof does in fact close by itself when you open the door then perhaps that is your problem since your vehicle doesn't have it. None of the 5th or 6th gen Explorers have that feature. In fact, you shouldn't want it to close if you wanted to let it vent or cool on a hot day

Peter

In the US, moonroof was a stand alone option.

Back