• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof Shade Flapping

Pitt1717

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XSport
This is about a 2017 Sport with moonroof. On all my previous cars the fabric part between the glass and my head has always been rigid and had little movement.
On 2 occasions now, with the windows open, if I get a cross breeze the material between the glass and my head flaps. Quite embarrassing for a 50k plus vehicle. The material is almost like the cargo shade in the back, but thinner I assume. And if I tab on it I can recreate the sound. Is this normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to remember, it is a rolling piece of fabric--there is no hard backing as with a single pane design.

Normal and just part of the design. It is not a desirable sound, but that's the compromise necessary for the dual pane design.

I hope this isn't going to be a 2017 only issue. This hasn't been brought up before that I can recall. It sounds like you are actually talking about the headliner itself.

Peter

thanks for the quick reply. guess the "engineers" were off that day when that was designed :confused:

thanks for the quick reply. guess the "engineers" were off that day when that was designed :confused:
Okay, I'm with you now. Your talking about the 'shade' panel.
BTW, your profile shows 2014. Did you replace it or add to it? Please update model and 'trim' level or add that to a signature so the members can provide accurate responses to future posts. Thanks.

I don't know how they could have done it differently.

For the dual pane design to work, you have to put the cover somewhere. There is not enough roof space in the car to slide one hard fixed piece through the back end of the vehicle. The piece that runs along the roof that lines with the B pillars is too thin to accomodate a hard piece as well.
Roller fabric is the best they could do. Even if you had two separate pieces of fabric with their own motors, the other would flap in the wind if it were left out.

Your best solution is to roll the front and back sections all the way back and expose all the glass to the cabin. Shouldn't hear anything then?

......Your best solution is to roll the front and back sections all the way back and expose all the glass to the cabin. Shouldn't hear anything then?
Do they now have a separate shade for each panel? The 2011 I had only had a single shade that was quite solid in nature.

Peter

Do they now have a separate shade for each panel? The 2011 I had only had a single shade that was quite solid in nature.

Peter

Single shade for both. It's... not really solid. But it works for what it is intended for quite well.

If the OP has headliner noise beyond the fabric flapping, that's another story.

no rattle just the flap. maybe they could have had 2 shades so when closed they could be more taught.. IDK but there could have been another way. at least I know this is "normal" and don't have to go back to the dealer. other than that, so far I love this truck

I've experienced the same thing once in my 2017 Platinum, so you're not the only one. I think the best solution is to keep the shade open if the windows are down.

Yep, one single flexible length of fabric.... seems to happen more with a side wind coming into the cabin or just at higher speeds...
really wish I hadn't gotten the moonroof IMHO

I actually had to just go and check since in my case the front and rear shades are always in the retracted position. They are indeed fabric. I guess I really never felt them beyond the leading edge.

Peter

Not sure if it just in the 2017 Platinum or if other 2017 trims with moon roof are the same, but does anyone else feel the power sunshade for the moon roof is quite flimsy?
I went for a ride the other day, it was relatively warm, so had the windows down, but the sunshade closed, and as the wind went through, the power sunshade started flapping very annoyingly.
I took it to the dealer, and was told that it was by design. I was told to either open the sunshade when the windows are down or just live with the flapping.

Not sure if it just in the 2017 Platinum or if other 2017 trims with moon roof are the same, but does anyone else feel the power sunshade for the moon roof is quite flimsy?
I went for a ride the other day, it was relatively warm, so had the windows down, but the sunshade closed, and as the wind went through, the power sunshade started flapping very annoyingly.
I took it to the dealer, and was told that it was by design. I was told to either open the sunshade when the windows are down or just live with the flapping.
Your thread has been merged with this existing one on the same issue. All members are urged to use the 'Search' feature before starting a new thread.

Peter

Hi all,

The I'm having is that when driving and having the windows down, there seems to be air getting up between the sun roof cover and sun roof causing it to vibrate. This goes away if I retract the sunroof cover back but I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or not.

Hi all,

The I'm having is that when driving and having the windows down, there seems to be air getting up between the sun roof cover and sun roof causing it to vibrate. This goes away if I retract the sunroof cover back but I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or not.
Your thread has been edited and merged with this one on the same issue. Please use the 'Search' feature before starting a new thread. Thank you.

My 2016 Sport does this as well. Doesn't really bother me. I either close the shade if it's flapping, or open it all the way. I seem to only get the flapping when its open in the front and still covering the rear sunroof.

Definitely not a compromise you have to make with the dual sunroofs though. I have driven the Acadia Denali with dual moon roof's and it does not do the same. My wife's Hyundai Santa Fe doesn't do it either and the whole roof in that car is glass. It's another inferior design by Ford, or something they simply overlooked.

Well, counter-point is that our VW sportwagen had a fabric shade and you bet it was moving in the wind like the Ex. Before people complain about the design, compromises have to be made to have these giant glass moonroofs as a solid shade would not work and has be be flexible to retract. My Optima had a similar design except that the material was drawn into the middle vs. all the way back and was tighter but then it was all retracted or no vs. on the EX front or all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back