Moonroof - was it an option? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof - was it an option?

bluexpy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer-less
I am looking at a '94 Exploder. The seller said it has a moon roof. I don't like moon roofs. Were they offered from factory? If so, are they troublesome or..? My big concern is the potential leak.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the 93 and 94 had an optional screw up glass sunroof. Run from it if it is like mine, those have a gap which develops along the very back edge of the glass. Either the seal is receding over time, or the roof is drooping. Look at the area of about a foot long in the center at the rear of the glass. My seal was not touching, and I got drenched a while back in a heavy rain.

I managed to lift the seal out, add a 1/8" thick bead of RTV down into the seal groove, and set the seal down to the RTV. My seal is now settled higher in that area by a good 1/8". So I have a slight pressure there at the glass now. Good luck,

...don't quote me on this...i know eddie bauer editions to have the moon roof, option or not i couldn't tell you...:scratch:

Thanks, guys. I'll make a note of that and check its condition.

It's possible that it is standard on a Eddie Bauer edition, but this is just a XLT.

XLT's have it as well. Mine is a 93 XLT as well. Also I would check it like the other member said because I do get drops of rain in sometimes.

I have a 91' Ford Explorer XLT .. And it has a moon roof .. But I've only had it for a short amount of time .. It hasnt leaked one on me .. And it rains a lot here lately & ive washed it a few times .. I like the fact that its manual for you to open and close it . then again I have a 91 so im not sure if that part changed at all ... But figured i would give you my opinion :D

mine has one,and i love it. it leak on me one time, but after that leak, i cleaned the drains out with a straw and worm water, and it hasn't leaked since. good luck. :D :thumbsup:

I had one in my '93 Sport, factory ordered. The manual, pop-up kind. I didn't own that Explorer long enough to comment on it, but I love the power version in my '99 Eddie. I use it all the time and no leaks to speak of.

I had a 92 Eddie Bauer and it has the screw up roof that also disconnects and comes out... it didn't really leak but one of the front clips broke off and the roof would make noise above 50mph or so.. it was pretty nice otherwise!!

I have the moonroof in my 94 xlt, never had any trouble with it, ever.

My 94 XLT has a sunroof/moonroof, whatever it's called. It's the factory one with the screw-up knob. It occasionally leaks, but only after a monsoon.

Hey lifeguard, I never knew there were drains to be cleaned. How do I get to them, just remove the glass and it will be obvious, I hope?

Mike

I'm assuming what our '92 XLT came with was a moon roof..

Glass with a screw type thing to lift it up in the back..

Our was leaking.. turned out one of the screws from the front mount (goes through the glass) was loose. I took the mount off, put on a little rtv, put the screw back in and hasn't leaked since.

~Mark

How did you figure out it was coming from there, or did you just remove everything and RTV it all?

My leak is so minor, it's almost un-noticeable. Usually, it just collects a little water, which comes comes in when you drive around (curves, etc.), after the storm is over.

Mike

How did you figure out it was coming from there, or did you just remove everything and RTV it all?

My leak is so minor, it's almost un-noticeable. Usually, it just collects a little water, which comes comes in when you drive around (curves, etc.), after the storm is over.

Mike

I took my moonroof out (push two buttons near the back and lift up, it comes out) to look for the leak.. When I took it out I Noticed the clip at the front moved.. I unscrewed the screw and saw that the screw went through the glass.. so I figured that was my leak.. I just put a little rtv on the mount and screwed it back together.. I didn't RTV the whole thing..

btw.. in AZ the moonroof makes things hot.. I put a 20% tint on it (tint place said it wasn't a good idea to go any darker as the glass may get too hot and pop).. My plastic/factory cover made too much noise on the dirt road I have to drive on every day which is why I don't have it on anymore.

~Mark

Okay, who has a gray cover available for those sunroofs? Mine is tan with one of those little rubber bumpers missing.

I bought a new outer seal for mine three years ago from Green Sales, the seals do shrink some. My truck had been rolled ages ago so my roof could be just slightly less bowed upward than when new.

All of the OEM sunroofs have four drains. Open the sunroof and the four holes are seen at the corners, the hoses are about 3/8" in size. Regards,

Hey lifeguard, I never knew there were drains to be cleaned. How do I get to them, just remove the glass and it will be obvious, I hope?

Mike

if you take the glass out and look in the back corners, there are 2 holes. these are them.;)

I have a 91 with moonroof, no leaks but corrosion at the front under the seal.

There was a recall or TSB about the moonroof. It's real easy to install it incorrectly after removal and it flies off. Mine came installed incorrectly by the dealer.

My '94 L.E. has 1, it doesn't leak :)

I've had a '92 Sport and a '94 Sport that both had moonroof's in them, and neither one leaked.

In general, the factory moonroof's have been fairly decent at not leaking. Just look carefully for signs that it has leaked. (Stained headliner, seat tops, etc....)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So many replies... :D

So the moonroof may be not much of a problem after all. Just more stuff to break. :rolleyes:

One concern still linger; how decent is it at blocking out light?

My old ride had a sunroof, I friggin hated the damn thing. Leaked like a sieve and you could fry eggs on my head just from that sunroof. :eek:

Back