• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

moose and hunting

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
shamaal said:
I've always had trouble with the feed the animals, shoot the animals thing. If the animals aren't fed, the numbers don't increase to the point where they have to be shot. When I moved to Texas I was amazed that 'hunters' were allowed to bait the deer with corn, then shoot them from trees when they came to feed during the season. I understand in Louisiana they can be hunted with dogs.

Of course we're all familiar with Cheney's canned hunt in 2003 when he and nine other 'hunters' shot 417 out of 500 caged birds.

In Wisconsin, we weren't allowed to shoot near a cowlick and only bowhunters were allowed tree stands. Don't get me wrong, I love venison and tramping around in the woods. Purchase of wetlands for migratory birds is grand. I just don't buy the circular argument that we feed them so we have to kill them.

I don't know about texas, but I would assume it's the same reason they allow in my state and some adjoining states to bait deer. There are so many deer reproducing so fast and so few hunters that the DNR is under fire to thin the state or counties herd down. You take your life in your hands when you drlve these country roads at night. Just look what insurance co.s pay out each year. Just last year a big buck totalled one of my cars. My wifes car has a smashed hood from hitting a deer if broad daylight. A lot of people here commute to DC everyday and must leave while it's still dark. Driving down I 70 thru Maryland can be disasterous. I was at Shenandoah National park a few weeks ago. The browse line was unbelievable. You are not allowed to hunt there. The browse line is when you can look thru the woods and see how far up the deer have to reach to eat. If any one goes to that park you can see what i mean. The browse line was as high as a deer can stand on it's two hind feet. Most people that go there to see the cute deer have know idea how poorly these deer have it. You can see the ribs on most.of the deer. Where hunting is allowed you have not so a distint browse line. These mid atantic states now have a very liberal deer limit. You can leagaly shoot 10 or more deer, if you use all your tags. The vast majority of hunters don't want to shoot that many even if they can. But the herd is still to large. Now that diesease called Wasting away syndrome has hit some east coast herds. Again overpopulation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

shamaal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Friensdwood, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
My point exactly, feeding the deer makes them multiply. :rolleyes:

Stop feeding, continue hunting and within three years the population will stabilize with lesser deer albeit fewer hunters. Don't reduce the number of hunters and there will be a diminishing number of deer until near zero. Less and less intrusion into the residential areas and the streets will be safe to drive at night.

Hunting is a multibillion dollar industry with lobbyists who want to ensure an adequate number of huntees, regardless of size or the effect on residential areas. Ban feeding and manage the remaining population. Around here I've seen dogs that are larger than the deer.

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
shamaal said:
My point exactly, feeding the deer makes them multiply. :rolleyes:

Stop feeding, continue hunting and within three years the population will stabilize with lesser deer albeit fewer hunters. Don't reduce the number of hunters and there will be a diminishing number of deer until near zero. Less and less intrusion into the residential areas and the streets will be safe to drive at night.
Hunter's food plots and/or corn feeders have little if anything to do with deer overpopulation. Think about it with this comparison-

Northern Missouri has huge whitetail compared to Houston area. The MS deer are twice the size, and on average have 3 times the rack mass of Htown deer. There is an overabundance of food for whitetail deer in MS. Miles upon miles of soybeans, corn, winter wheat, etc. Yet somehow the deer herd there is healthy and in a good state of balance. How can you say (guessing) a couple of hundred acres of food plots around the Houston area is causing a deer overpopulation to exist when northern deer have hundreds of thousands of acres of food plots? Your area's problem is too rapid of development, too much deforestation, and too little (if any) natural predators for whitetail. You could dig up every food plot and take away every corn feeder in your area tommorrow and you will still have the same overpopulation problem.

I will agree with you on a few things- i dont like hunting over food plots or corn feeders, i dont care too much for stands, and i HATE the fact that Texas is full of canned hunting.

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
moose1 said:
I feel its good for my health seeing chicken and cows are pumped filled with artificle hormones to make them bigger and we are ingesting it while we eat the meat,

Im sorry but that just blows me away, not trying to start problems BUT in how many other threads have you gone on and on about all the roids and hormones you take everyday but it isnt safe to eat the traces left in processed meat?

ANyways, I hunt from a treestand normally, and if things are slow ill stillhunt around a small area. Depended on where im hunting and who im with we may put on a few small drives after lunch before sunset. We get almost all of our deer from drives, since after years of little or no luck sitting all day we decided to give driving a try and had good sucess with it. It fills the freezer, me and my dad bagged 4 total last season, and im still eating deer today.

moose1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
coupville, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
There diffrent types, what I take is a naturel growtrh hormone that stimulates the pituitary gland, thus making a higher number of test and hormones, nothing my body doesnt make now, just alot more than my body can natruely produce. The ones they use in meat is a chemicly induced hormone, Id rather be producing my own at a higher level then ingesting chemicles.