• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

More front end clunk - but I've replace almost everything!

cross6

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
replaced*

Ok - clunk/snap ONLY when backing out and turning, like in a parking lot. It's an initial clunk, then a snap a few seconds later.

This weekend I replaced:

Both lower ball joints
both upper ball joints
inner tie rods
outter tie rods
bearings
rotors
brake pads
greased slide pins
sway bar end link bushings.

Checked rear end brakes and the parking brakes - all fine. Rear end was rebuilt recently and didn't phase the noise.

So after all of that work and an alignment - the noise is the EXACT same! argh!

Now I'm stumped. lol. I also got under the truck and looked at motor/trans mounts and u joints and all seemed tight.

I can feel the noises in the brake pedal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Curtis

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
2wd, 4wd Awd?

If its 4WD, its normal. Its binding with the different speeds of the front vs rear wheels while turning.

If its 2wd... I got no idea...

cross6

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
2wd, 4wd Awd?

If its 4WD, its normal. Its binding with the different speeds of the front vs rear wheels while turning.

If its 2wd... I got no idea...

It's 2wd - and I'm totally stumped - lol.

jrford

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac
CV joints??? I had an old front wheel car in reverse i would hear a click when turning. Had to replace the CV half shaft.

cross6

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
CV joints??? I had an old front wheel car in reverse i would hear a click when turning. Had to replace the CV half shaft.
I doubt it - it's a loud clunk you can feel - not a click.

Curtis

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
plus there are no CV's in the front of a 2wd

rrgone

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Is it a limited slip differential? My LS binds up sometimes when I'm backing up and turn sharply like you describe. No every time though. What was replaced in yours when rebuilt?

Curtis

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
Is it a limited slip differential? My LS binds up sometimes when I'm backing up and turn sharply like you describe. No every time though. What was replaced in yours when rebuilt?
My 04 will do this too sometimes.. but I know its with the rear. No snap sound up front or anything like that.

cross6

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer

Hmm not sure if mine is a LS or open - I need to check the door jamb plate. Bearing in the diff was growling.

I'm pretty sure the noise is in the front because I feel it in the pedal/flooboard. I need to listen outside while someone else drives.

rrgone

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
My 04 will do this too sometimes.. but I know its with the rear. No snap sound up front or anything like that.
When mine does this I would swear it is coming from the front somewhere. I have seen a TSB that indicates that it's not uncommon to think it's coming from the front when the clutch pack binds. I'll see if I can find the TSB...

cross6

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
Just checked my axle code -- 3.55 open.

cross6

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
So if I get in, put my left foot on the brake, and goose the gas with my right foot while in reverse, it makes the clunk when the truck tries to move.

gshep12

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 04 Limited 4.6L
wheel bearing and hub

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
you could all be wrong, it might be a motor mount or trans mount,, remember in reverse the forces are on the other side of the engine,, so the mount might be okay on the forward movement, but not on reverse,,
you have to put a bar in and pry on the mounts to check them, it's rubber it might look okay ,but be cracked,,

gshep12

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 04 Limited 4.6L
You could be right. Based on the sympton it sounded like a similar problem I had; it was the wheel bearing and hub. With foot slightly depressed on peddle and in reverse or drive I got more of a crack as oppose to a clunk when vehicle started to move in either direction. I mis-read the post, sorry.

tripplec

Reaction score
City, State
Bowmanville, ON Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LTD AWD
I've had/have various 4x4 and the drive shaft splines can partially seize. There is one on front shaft to transfer case etc. Lubricate the splines and reinsert them. I have heard that that can be a problem because they cannot slide in and out as designed.

Curtis

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
I've had/have various 4x4 and the drive shaft splines can partially seize. There is one on front shaft to transfer case etc. Lubricate the splines and reinsert them. I have heard that that can be a problem because they cannot slide in and out as designed.
That kind of makes sense to me.. if those splines are dry any lateral movement could make a pop or snap sound...good thought!