more lighting questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

more lighting questions

Well, I had some small Pilot driving lights inset into my grille. Of course when I installed them, I didn't think about having to replace the bulb. Well, I had to take them out of there (even though they looked really good). Now I have to mount them somewhere else. I don't have a grille guard, and don't necessarily want one. I was thinking either 1) mounted to the top of the bumper between the headlight and grille, or 2) mounted on the roof about 6" behind the windshield (like the ATeam van). The lights are about 3"highX3"deepX5"wide with an oval base (two mounting holes).

I'm leaning strongly towards the bumper. Is it ok to drill some holes into my bumper? Actually, I just had an idea: how about mounting them onto my roof rack bar? That is pretty no-risk (damage), the only thing being getting the wiring into the truck.

I don't really want to spend the money on new lights and/or a light bar. Though any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, I use the lights basically for second high beams. Light offroad use, but mainly dark country roads and to "signal" other drivers. I also use them as day-time lights.

Thank you very much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like some info on this too.... I was considering putting some PIAA's on... and have no idea what to get... or whats involved in mounting. Do I require a brush guard or a special light rack? How much cash are we talking... I do have the luggage rack thing up there... is that any use? So how much cash are we talking for a decent set up? :)

nick

bumpers are ok. i put 2 blazers on my front bumper, and have 5 rectangle lights to put on my roof rack on the way....Kampy from this forum also put some on his bumper. he drives a sprot trac prototype(ie Ranger).....heres a look at em...

sorry.....these will take a little bit to load.....
Dead Link Removed

....and the ranger......

Dead Link Removed

[Edited by riffman on 09-19-2000 at 01:01 AM]

I had 4 PIAA's drilled into my stock roof rack for a year. No serious problems encoutered, it just didn't look as cool as I wanted and it only supported about 4 lights (I know, thats enough for most people). One other person from the list put a set of PIAA 520's on his bumper with no modifications, just drilled a hole, inserted, and went from there. maybe he'll speak up. Flyguy, if your looking at PIAA's, price range from about $100 a set for the PIAA 40's to about $450 a set for the higher end (I didn't say highest end because PIAA also make HID setups that run about $1700). Most of their lights are around $200. The 80 XT's run a bit more but they're worth it. I hope that helps, if you have any questions on lights feel free to e-mail me. I AM Vegas after all, LOL

Thanks guys,

I'm probably gonna put these on the bumper. Just a question though, what's the best way to get wiring into the truck from the roof. Did you just drill a hole and silicone it? Also, how difficult is it to remove part of the headliner and replace it correctly?

Hmm, I guess if I ever decide I don't like the lights on my bumper, I can just put some of those plastic screw things in the holes. Why not, the rest of the truck is held together with them? :)

STOPPPPPP. If you go to drill into your bumper make sure you don't have an airbag. If you do you're in trouble, but if you don't you'll be fine. All I did was drilled some holes in the top of the bumper and you'll be fine. In fact I've got a set of Hella's(sorry for this one), some cheap a#@ Baja's(bought cause I was board), and my Hi-Lift jack mounted to the front bumper. So far I've had no problems. The only thing I'll also warn you about is if you mount them in the middle of the bumper(under the hood latch) get ready to crawl into a tight space to tighten the bolts down. Other than that you'll be fine. I wouldn't mount the pilot to the roof, it would look funny and you'll lose a ton of light.

Does anyone know where exactly the airbag sensors are located? I do have dual airbags, and don't want to have problems with them! I've looked at the inside of the bumper a few times, and didn't notice any wires or anything. If I'm careful, and as long as I don't damage the sensors I should be fine, right?

Hmmm....

I just know not to do it. Since I don't have airbags I'm able to drill away. I don't think you'll have a problem if you don't hit a sensor but I'm not 100% sure on this one. Is there anybody with an airbag that can help on this one???

I'd also disconnect the power when drilling just in case.

You dont have airbags? I have a 94... I thought I had one.. oh well.

nick

You might. Here's how you can find out. Go really fast into a brick wall!!!! Tell us if you do or not. I only have the "sport" package. It's the basic with no toys from ford. The airbags may of been added to the higher packages such as the xl or so on. I'd make sure though before drilling away.

I'll also post some photos this weekend of my front bumper and the setup I've got on my site. I'll link you to it once I'm done.

Well... Ive ran over many a honda.. and the airbag hasnt gone off yet... however... I havent even scratched the bumper...

nick

So does anyone know if drilling into a 95+ front bumper is ok? I looked under there today, and all I saw was the plastic bumper cover, and the metal bumper underneath it. I didn't see anything that looks like the airbag sensor. Do I run a risk of messing the airbag system up (or anything else for that matter)?

Thanks.

Wow... no airbags. I suck. Oh well.

nick

flyguy....click on the link to see a way you can mount some lights onto the bumper. Like I said the only problem I had was getting to the bolts in the middle as well as grounding them became a problem...but that was just cause I was lazy and didn't extend the ground wire long enough.

Dead Link Removed

Okay guys, according to the Haynes manual, any time you are working near the steering wheel, steering column, or any other airbag system components, the system needs to be disabled. To do this, you must do the following:
1)Turn the ignition off
2)Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal, then disconnect the cable from the positive terminal. Wait 2 minutes for the electronic module backup power supply to be depleted.
You are then free to cut, grind, and drill whatever you want. The only thing the manual does not say, is where the sensors are located, just that there are two located at the front of the vehicle. To enable the system, reverse the above steps. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the help guys, esp Leebo and Rytm.

I'm having my headers put in on Monday, so I'll have them drill the holes and mount the lights for me. I'll redo all the wiring, but I'm just not comfortable drilling into stuff. These guys have done too many 4x4's to count, so I'd rather pay an extra $20 than permanently mess anything up. I know, I'm a wuss. Well better a wuss with nice lights than a dufus with faulty airbags!

BTW, I'm really looking forward to those headers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm back.....I looked a 95 explorer today that I think had airbags(it was in a parking lot, who know who's it was) and I could see the sensors either. I'm GUSSING that they are mounted just inside the frame. When the bumper gets hit the mount pushes into the frame thus triggering the sensors. This is just a guess though. I would do the same thing your doing. A few bucks is well worth a secure mind and if you mess up something I'm sure you'll be pi#@ed off at me....so spend the money.

Good Luck.....and I want photos when you're done

Back