• Register Today It's free!

More power for 3.5

twodogs603

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 ford explorer base
Im sure this has been covered before but a search didnt give me the results I was looking for.
I have a base 2014 Explorer. Around town the vehicle does ok but this past week I was able really test out the motor while driving from Virginia to Indiana. I was not impressed. In the mountains the engine seemed to really struggle trying to climb. It would keep downshifting to get back up to speed.
Simple question: Is there any fairly inexpensive mods to give the engine a little more oomph. Ive seen the K & N air intake and think that may be a possibility. Any other options out there?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out http://livernoismotorsports.com
They have tunes for the base 3.5L Explorer.

Adding CAIs really doesn't do much. An engine tune while more expensive will get you much more power. I would look at their site and e-mail them to ask what they can do for you.

Jason

My experience is that it's not the engine that's sluggish. It's the transmission shift points that under-utilize the engine's power bands. I've got tow and AWD so hitting the tow button or switching to sand mode really increases the power to the wheels by changing the transmission shift points. I don't know about the Base Model. Maybe try the grade assist button on the shift lever?

Definitely don't think it's the engine power, more the transmission shift point management. These engines also like to keep the rpm's up to stay in the power band more than older engines did. I regularly tow a trailer over 4k lbs with mine and the power is still pretty good even with the weight.

I also liberally use the manual shifter on hills and towing to improve the vehicle's performance.

My experience is that it's not the engine that's sluggish. It's the transmission shift points that under-utilize the engine's power bands. I've got tow and AWD so hitting the tow button or switching to sand mode really increases the power to the wheels by changing the transmission shift points. I don't know about the Base Model. Maybe try the grade assist button on the shift lever?

Thats funny you mention this. I was complaining one time to one of engineers on the Explorer program about the same and he said "try it in Sand mode then hit the Tow button"

You're exactly right, its not the engine.

Agreed on the transmission shift points. The transmission also has a "learning curve" and learns how the vehicle drives and adapts to that. If it not used to hilly terrain it probably won't perform as good. I have actually turned off the adaptive learning on my vehicle as I don't like it.

Tunes will also modify shifting behavior.

Back