More Power for an 05 Sport Trac 4×4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More Power for an 05 Sport Trac 4×4

mtbfirejamm

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT
Here I am again with a few questions that are probably answered in another thread. My 05 Trac has little power. Not that I need to have it "jumping off the line", there's really no power. Maybe they all were that way. Wasn't sure if it could be the cable from the pedal,fuel filter or pump,tune up etc... Doesn't miss,no chugging or coughing. Just doggish!! ☺ much appreciated by this female who loves her truck & on her own to take care of it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The V8 is not much more powerful by the numbers. I think the power is pretty good. Tune up, pull the throttle cable slack and if that's not enough, get a tuner.

Thank you very much. I'll try those out. Maybe next year look into the v8 & '08 or newer. I really like my sport trac. I've not had alot anyways, so far I'm happy. ☺

Check out the ziptie mod for the throttle cable

Check out the ziptie mod for the throttle cable

ziptie mod helps for sure i did it on my old ranger, but i am having a hard time getting my hands between the gas pedal and the cable, i have a flowmaster on my trac and 2.25 pipes instead of the original 2, maybe a very small power gain but feels better. couple things i like to do, i use seafoam, one of my favorite products i put it in my gas tank, oil crankcase and sometimes my brake line usually every 6 months, and i use engine degreaser to clean everything under the hood.

A 302 is not the only bolt-on option. Well, "bolt-on" is a bit of a stretch for an engine swap haha, but they do make supercharger kits for the 4.0 SOHC. Of course, you're looking at $1500-2000 for the kit, and tracking down an Eaton M90. Apparently you can even run mild boost without a tuner and see some pretty significant performance gains. Although. I just lost the tranny on mine and I feel like installing one of those would kill the engine next haha.

Back