City, State
Northern Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
1992 explorer classics!

:thumbdwn:
1992 xlt 4x4 5spd manual hubs
so got a couple of things hoping someone could help me with,
- knocking in front left area when engage 4x4, it goes away after about 20 seconds of driving, maybe cv joint? ideas?
- transmission whines constantly, and will not go into fourth.
ideas?
- does anyone know where to get cheap tires and rims?
stock aluminum alloys preferably.
help anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site... The 4x4 noise could be either hubs, U-joints or front diff.. Autohubs (when not properly maintained) will make a ratcheting noise when trying to engage. All too often people will pack the hubs with grease which is wrong.. Too much grease will cause the mechanism within the hub to hydrolock in the disenage position...

The autotransmission is a weak link with the explorer... Search this site and you'll find lot of info on them...

Sounds like the trans is toast. probably needs a new cluster shaft and input shaft along with new bearings. I just got done rebuilding mine.

For the left front knocking I would start, like DeRocha mentioned, with inspecting the u-joint at that wheel and also the hub. Your manual hubs should also not be packed with grease. Invest in either a Haynes or Chilton manual, they will guide you through both. For cheap rims, check a salvage/wrecking yard. For cheap tires check Canadian Tire, Walmart etc.

yea i checked the hubs and u joints are tight so i dont know what the hell it is its been -20 lately and it hasnt been diong it lately.??maybe its haunted

Back