• Register Today It's free!

More solid axle stuff!

tiessen

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
OK here is my idea. Stricken with envy of Rick's rig I'm going to swap a solid axle up front. The Superlift just doesn't cut it. BTW, it will be for sale soon and they work great! :)

Dana 44 out of full size '79 Bronco. Disk brakes, larger axles and u-joints...shorten the R side housing and axle to match the dimensions of an EB (in case I ever need to replace parts). Retain the stock radius arms with C-clamps and "wrist" the R side radius arm (like all the EB boys do to get massive articulation) with custom brackets on frame. The spring perches on the axle (EB dimensions) and Explorer coil buckets apparently line up, no problem, buy some 4" extra soft coils. Cross over steering custom fabbed, maybe flipped on top. Custom track bar similar to Rick's or other. Front end done...

Rear end...to get 5.5" bolt pattern. Steal c-clip axles out of a fullsize Ford and cut to length. Steal brakes off a fullsize Ford and bolt onto Explorer 8.8".

I see this set up as a 'cost effective' way of doing the sway. The parts would be around $700 plus new hubs, maybe new rotors, pads, and calipers. Around $200-300 to have the axles (3) cut to length (the best way is to cut in the middle, take out a length, and reweld leaving the original splines). The custom work would be the radius arm mounts, the wristed radius arm, the track bar, and steering. I have been quoted less than $1000 labor to do everything (though I would do the rear end install myself). Of course I would regear at the same time to 4.56 (currently running 3.73).

I would like to hear your comments. I am gathering info at this time, looking to do the swap in 6-8 weeks and maybe have the rig down to Truckhaven in Jan!

Cheers

Dale

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Solid Swap

I did a swap on my Explorer about a year ago and here are some of the problems you will run into, hope it helps. First is the spring buckets on the explorer will line up with the spring mounts on a early bronco ( I used a Dana 44 from a 77 Bronco) the problem comes when you try to attach them to the axle. The springs that mount to the bronco axle are larger in diameter and mount using a sort of a tray that is mounted with two bolts. The explorer springs mount using a spring seat and one large bolt coming up from below. You will need to make mounts that used the two bolts into the top of the radius arms that has a stud sticking up so you can mount the explorer springs. The springs from the Bronco are to large to fit in the explorer spring buckets. The steering is one place you dont want to cut corners. The Dana uses larger tie rod ends than your dana 35 in the explorer. You will need to modify the pitman arm on the explorer to accept the larger joint or go with a full custom design and use 3/4" rod ends at all joints. The best way to get to the 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern in the rear is Call Moser Engineering and get them to make you a set of axles that fit your explorer with a 5 on 5 1/2" bolt patten and redrill your brake drums to fit. Never cut an axle in the middle and reweld it back together the welding and heat it will take to get the weld to penetrate will make the axle brittle and it will not hold to the twisting forces that a axle sees. Always cut the end and respline. My truck has had a solid axle under it for over a year with no problems it rides, drives and performes better than it ever did with the Dana 35 under it. One other thing My truck is for sale 93 Eddie Bauer Dana 44 solid axle all power. Best of luck with your swap. I hope this info helps.

TNExplorer-Do you have any pictures of your explorer...I'm just curious as how your swap looks.....Pete

I'm not sure who Rick got his rear axles from, but in he did exactly what TNExplorer said. Now, that I think about it I believe they were Moser. Well, the shop did anyhow. Our rear brakes, unless he changed them during the swap, are disc brakes from a Mustang. I'm not sure which year or model. Hope this helps.

We have brakes from an '85 Mustang SVO. And yes the axles are from Moser.

I do have some pics that I sent to Rick about a year and a half ago. He e-mailed me to see if he could post them on the site but I never seen them (He has a lot going on and that is understandable with the quality of this site). I will e-mail you a pic. of the truck.

Three things on your swap, I think its a dandy idea, I've been thinking about doing it myself.

1. I agree w/ TNExplorer, don't ever cut and weld an axle shaft, always have it resplined or better yet, have a new one made. Remember you're talking about an axle that has been work hardened for 20+ years.

2. Unless you get a new shaft made you will not end up with a larger U-joint. You will actually end up with one with the same size cross and smaller caps.

3.Why not just find a used 44 from an EB and get the disc brake parts for it from a parts yard? They are close to the proper width, Warn makes new hardened axles for them with the bigger 297X ujoint (which is the same as you have in your 35) and they are machined for full circle snaprings.

I don't know where you're located but a guy about 8 miles from me has 4 of these axles and told me he'd sell me one for $200. The only drawback to this set up is that it isn't reverse rotation like Rick's diff.

Just something to think about.

Other optioms for rear

Warn now makes a full floater kit for the 8.8". Fot the full sizes, you have to machine out the center hole of the drum to accomodate the 1 ton hubs. For the rangers and us, you have to upgrade to disk or larger drums. The hubs that come w/ tyhe kit are 5" X 5.5" bolt pattern. I think they said that the disks out of a late model explorer will work, but on top of drilling the center hole, you have to also drill 5 new wheel stud holes. I am sure that front brakes (reversed) off an F-150 would work also. Warn would know for sure. Just my 2 cents!!!

Back