• Register Today It's free!

More starter problems

fbellamy

Reaction score
City, State
Washougal WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Fored Explorer
I replaced the starter in my 1999 Explorer SOHC about three months ago. After three hours removing the starter and having it tested they said it was bad. Mounting the new starter was another three hour process. Of course the original problem was not the starter but corrosion in the cables. After replacing both positive and negative cable clamps and cutting out as much of the corroded cables as possible the car started and drove fine. Now when I try to start the explorer the starter motor runs continuously with key in the off position without engaging for about 15 seconds.

I removed the positive battery cable to check connections at the starter. Everything looks to be tight and in good condition. The problem is now when I hook the positive battery cable to the battery it begins arching and starts melting the positive post on the battery. It also places a large drain on the battery which recovers after a few minutes. I cannot see anywhere the cables are shorting on the starter or to the frame.

Suggestions on where to look next are much appreciated. Could it be the cables or do I have another defective starter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you've got a starter solenoid that is sticking. there is one up near the battery and another one on the starter itself. obviously, begin with the one near the battery. that won't take you 3 hrs to replace.

i once bought a 3 year old Ford that had this problem. the owner had replaced the starter 3 times, but it kept happening. he finally got disgusted and sold it to me cheap. at the time it prbly cost me all of $3 for a new solenoid. today they more ($15'ish) but still pretty cheap and easily changed. just disconnect the positive battery lead and follow it to the solenoid.

I do not think the 98 up have a solenoid other than that one mounted to the starter.
There is a starter relay in the distribution box, --it "could" be stuck closed I guess.

I do not think the 98 up have a solenoid other than that one mounted to the starter.
There is a starter relay in the distribution box, --it "could" be stuck closed I guess.

RockAuto lists a fender mounted one, so i don't know. if not, then the starter mounted solenoid is sticking. i know this because it keeps spinning even with the key OFF and once a starter solenoid is energized and sticks it doesn't care about the position of the ignition key.

RockAuto lists a fender mounted one, so i don't know. if not, then the starter mounted solenoid is sticking. i know this because it keeps spinning even with the key OFF and once a starter solenoid is energized and sticks it doesn't care about the position of the ignition key.

Yup, the new starter is bad. :thumbsup:

Thanks all. Pulled the new starter out tonight and it is definitely bad. Appreciate the comments.

Back