• Register Today It's free!

More than likely my last EXPLODER

Elfiero

Reaction score
City, State
Golden valley, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
Yes, I know pete hates it when you call them that, but I am 64 and have owned them longer than most of you have lived.
I absolutely refuse to drive a 4 popper, and I also refuse to drive anything with a hair dryer(turbocharger) on it. so, it looks like I will be leaving my beloved ford in the future I hope you all enjoy the future also, I have NEVER owned a vehicle with more recalls than this. I asked the service writer at the local ford store about this, His response: women drive more of these than men, and they complain to Ford more.( this was an honest response one man to another)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really doubt you’ve owned Explorers longer than most members here have been alive.

21C52DBB-92A3-4F80-835D-0E0941C10F18.png

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. IMO, your best bet is a Toyota, Honda, Lexus or Acura brand vehicle. I think the Maverick hybrid will be a very reliable vehicle. It uses the newest variant of Ford's nearly indestructible non-turbo 2.5L four cylinder engine that gets 42 mpg in the city, 33 mpg highway and 37 mpg combined. Plus, it hauls up to 1,500 lbs. of payload and is not a slug on the road. Also, a lot of the reason the small displacement turbo vehicles fail is from long fluid changes, especially engine oil. Following the manufacturers change intervals for all fluids is a recipe for premature failures. They should have engine oil changes every 4k miles, PTU fluid change every 30k miles and transmission drain and refills at 40k-50k mile intervals. All the manufacturers care about is their vehicles getting past an extended warranty which is why they recommend long service intervals. Disposable vehicles seems to be part of their business model these days.

Every car sold now is fraught with future nightmare repairs. They are extremely complicated and will likely be repair totaled in ever higher numbers as they depreciate. We already see this in regard to many, many vehicles that are 10-15 years old. This is why they can be bought for 5-10% of their MSRP just ten years after sold new.

I've probably owned my Explorer longer than you have, since I bought it 27 years ago.

I don't know anything about the new models, but don't they make a naturally aspirated V6?

Why won't you drive something with a turbo? I have had a few vehicles with turbos, and driven a bunch more, and nearly all were a heck of a good time. You will have to face reality eventually, engines are getting smaller.

I've probably owned my Explorer longer than you have, since I bought it 27 years ago.

I don't know anything about the new models, but don't they make a naturally aspirated V6?

Why won't you drive something with a turbo? I have had a few vehicles with turbos, and driven a bunch more, and nearly all were a heck of a good time. You will have to face reality eventually, engines are getting smaller.
The hybrid models have N/A V6 engines. All others are turbocharged. If I were buying a new one it would be a hybrid. At least with it the money you save in buying less gas might pay for a battery replacement as the miles rack up. There is still all the complicated expensive gadgetry that can, and will, break. Also, the trend with new vehicles is to require the replacement of a large block of components when only one expires. This ups the repair bills substantially. Not to mention the more labor time needed to make repairs. I think gas engine cars will become very expensive to operate if the environmental wackos get their way. They will cause the price of gas to skyrocket to force people into electric vehicles.

Yes, I know pete hates it when you call them that, but I am 64 and have owned them longer than most of you have lived.
I absolutely refuse to drive a 4 popper, and I also refuse to drive anything with a hair dryer(turbocharger) on it. so, it looks like I will be leaving my beloved ford in the future I hope you all enjoy the future also, I have NEVER owned a vehicle with more recalls than this. I asked the service writer at the local ford store about this, His response: women drive more of these than men, and they complain to Ford more.( this was an honest response one man to another)
LOL another senior here - just get an older Ex! Love my 2nd gen, and it has an actual frame underneath. And THIS woman has been driving since the 70s. Always research the pros/cons before buying. Find out what the owners of a particular model/year are saying about their vehicles so no surprises.

LOL another senior here - just get an older Ex! Love my 2nd gen, and it has an actual frame underneath. And THIS woman has been driving since the 70s. Always research the pros/cons before buying. Find out what the owners of a particular model/year are saying about their vehicles so no surprises.
I went to work for Ford in 1977, but got my drivers license in 1973. I bought my first New Ford in 1977. I will never own anything with a turbo or less than 6 normally aspirated cylinders. period Also the only thing electric I will ever own is a toothbrush. I will only buy new cars, and I buy them every 5 years or so. I have a fair amount of money and ford seems to be headed towards younger, poorer drivers, which means I may half to look elseware next time

I went to work for Ford in 1977, but got my drivers license in 1973. I bought my first New Ford in 1977. I will never own anything with a turbo or less than 6 normally aspirated cylinders. period Also the only thing electric I will ever own is a toothbrush. I will only buy new cars, and I buy them every 5 years or so. I have a fair amount of money and ford seems to be headed towards younger, poorer drivers, which means I may half to look elseware next time
Do let us know what you end up buying! Agree on no turbo or electric car.

............................... I have a fair amount of money and ford seems to be headed towards younger, poorer drivers, which means I may half to look elseware next time
I totally disagree with the "poorer drivers" part. Have you checked the starting prices of some of the Explorers and Aviators? It's true that younger drivers are buying Aviators but I would not classify them as being "poor". I'm 75 and have been driving since I was 16 and currently have the Aviator which 2 years ago replaced my 2017 Platinum. My lease is up in just under 2 years and I'll be looking at another Ford/Lincoln product as my first choice.

Peter

You are right about the pricing, however I don't rent my cars, I buy them outright drive them till I am tired of them and move on, the reason I made the comment about the younger "poorer" drivers is because of All the leases put out by Ford and vehicles like the "Maverick"- a Mexican built unibody, fwd 4 cyl POS at best I have no problem buying an American built, v8 powered suv, but I guess it won't be from Ford

You are right about the pricing, however I don't rent my cars, I buy them outright drive them till I am tired of them and move on, the reason I made the comment about the younger "poorer" drivers is because of All the leases put out by Ford and vehicles like the "Maverick"- a Mexican built unibody, fwd 4 cyl POS at best I have no problem buying an American built, v8 powered suv, but I guess it won't be from Ford
Sounds like the world is moving on and you want to stay put. A lot of people feel this way as they age. I do in some respects. However, the "world" doesn't care about what older generations want and will change regardless.

As Peter stated, the price of many new vehicles these days is quite high. The average price is $45k and this figure is far from catering to the poor. I am sure you will be able to find a car priced commensurate with your station in life. There are very good reasons to lease a vehicle over purchasing them. Especially as the price of the vehicle increases. Considering the depreciation rates on new vehicles, buying one new and keeping it for 4-5 years likely isn't the best decision from a financial aspect. As for the Maverick, it hasn't been out long enough to know if it is a POS, or not. It takes time to pass before this is known. A small displacement turbo four cylinder engine can be reliable if it is maintained properly from when it was new and not by the manufacturers recommendations.

Soon it won’t be from anybody, let alone Ford. I’m guessing fuel injection and ABS offended you as well.

Well, my friend "a man has to do what a man has to do." Good luck!

Technology advances, and some people complain. The early 80s were the same way with cars, they eventually got the electronics to be reliable. They don't make cars like they used to... And I'm glad.

I appreciate your opinions, but it will not change my mind. The best vehicle I ever owned was a 2013 F150 extended cab FX4 v8 the worst was a 2006 Tacoma Toyota had that one more i did(recalls, etc) something the size of my F150 will no longer fit in my present parking situation.so, I am stuck looking at SUVs that are less than 200inches long Mercedes makes one with a v8 I might consider. at this point price is not a consideration. Ideas?

A grand cherokee is under 200 inches long and has a V8 option.

To answer some of your other inquiries, No I am not afraid of technology look above at my all-time favorite car, all so my summer car is a 2015 Mustang GT Premium thats a V8 with heat/ventilated leather look seats. These are just some of the reasons I dislike small engines and/ or turbos. Also I worked for GM for a while while every turbo they sold came back on a tow truck. how many of you remember the 1979 indy pace car? I worked for ford then- those used to come back on a tow truck too.

A grand cherokee is under 200 inches long and has a V8 option.
True, but I remember Jeep Pre- Fiat and the grand cherokee was Garbage before the french took over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True, but I remember Jeep Pre- Fiat and the grand cherokee was Garbage before the french took over.
My 99 grand cherokee has treated me well. One of those cars you just gas and go. I drive a jeep and work on fords. I find it ironic the french did the same thing to Chrysler as they did to AMC.

Back