Mother's Back to Black/A Little Headlight Restoration/Roof Rack Fairing Ideas (Pics). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mother's Back to Black/A Little Headlight Restoration/Roof Rack Fairing Ideas (Pics).

TmacTrac

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac 4x4
Okay, went to good ol' Wal-Mart and got some oil, filter, and got some paint and some Mother's Back to Black and decided to try it out.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

:)

IMG_0010.jpg

Before: Dirty Grey Side View Mirror
IMG_0011.jpg

After: Dirty BLACK Side View Mirror lol
IMG_0012.jpg

Roof Racks:
IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Also my dad used a little trick to somewhat restore my headlights. Not the best but they look better than the little kits that you get for $15. They're still a little hazy, and my camera flash didn't help but I'm satisfied.

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Also, we fabbed up these cheap old crossbars to my roof racks, and I got a fairing cut from plexiglass that I'm going to put on it and put this Decal on it:

ExplorerDecal.jpg

And here's the Fairing:
IMG_0026.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easyy, dont all comment at one time! I think I'm going to paint my front grille black tomorrow. I have a can of Krylon Fusion Satin Black. Is there a process I need to go through to get the grille out?

Nice work. I've been meaning to do those areas as well.

The grill is part of the whole front bumper cover and all. It's a giant piece. To get the honeycomb out, which is what I assume you're really talking about, I dunno. I haven't done that. It's probably described on here somewhere or on the '95-'01 Explorer forum with a writeup about a Sport. Or someone will probably chime in.

Haha yeah I was looking in walmart at stuff for the headlights and the Back to Black was on the same aisle, and I remembered someone on the forum talking about it and I figured I would try it. But thanks man!

Also, if anyone wants to help out with ideas for a decal to put on that fairing, I would appreciate it! I'm still leaning on that Explorer decal, because if I'm not mistaken that's the explorer sign for the 2nd gen.'s not the Sport's. But if you guys can find a decent "Sport Trac", "Explorer", or anything else, just something similar in size and shape. Or any ideas would be appreciated!!

Looks good man.

I believe the honeycomb part of the grille has a couple of plastic clips on the backside, don't quote me on that but I think thye do. I've been planning on taking mine out and painting it too. Just another thing on my list.

What about a decal that is similar to the Sport Trac badging on the tailgate? The rectangle surrounding the name of the truck. Offset to one side of the fairing. I don't know how that would actually turn out, but it's an idea.

yeah thats what i was thinking.. I think I'd like that, but I cant seem to find an actual image of that to give to someone to make..?

-and Jerry, I'll take a look at it tomorrow, while were changing the oil. I'll post pics in this thread once I figure it out! thanks for the help!

Yeah, I tried to find an image online but didn't come across one. I have some but didn't want to crop, upload and post. Maybe tomorrow.

Oh cool, I can crop it if you dont feel like it lol. I just need something to go by.

Okay, scratch the grill for right now, I'm going to wait until maybe next weekend or so, when we paint the bumpers and cladding to paint the grill. I got the fairing on. Pics later on, maybe someone can do some photoshopping for me to see if that decal will look good on her. :D

Why would you use the back to black stuff if you're gonna paint the bumper and cladding? Now you need to seriously do a good cleaning job on those parts in order for the paint the adhere to the surface.

You're gonna need to lightly sand down the surfaces, then use Simple Green and scrotch brite steel wool pad to clean surface thoroughly. Prep work is gonna be especially important for the paint to adhere.

Looking at pictures of your Trac I kinda miss the factory wheels and BFG's on mine.

I don't think he Back to Black-ed the stuff he's painting.

Just on lunch break and on my wife's Mac so I don't have pictures for you yet. I'll try to get them after work and while watching the Dawgs.

jerry- Yeah I only used the back to black on the trim around the bed and the roof racks, and I'm going to paint the bottom trim soon, and I think I am going to use your write up, so I'll keep you guys updated. And I also love the look of my wheels/tires , i just wish I had the money to buy the tires new. I wish they had more tread on them.

offtrac- I have had to work during every Carolina game :mad: but thanks!

Oh ok. Yeah those tires are getting alittle low. Keep an eye out on the different offroad forums and on CL, people are always selling rims and tires cheap on sites.

Will do. any ideas for another tire that will look good on her?

I've used Krylon Fusion satin black on the Trac (step bars) and my daughter's Jeep (flares). I scrub whatever I'm going to paint with Westley's Bleach White, rinse it, let it dry overnight, wipe it down with acetone the next day, and paint. Holding up so far.

Tires

I have Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's on mine. 265/75/16. I only get a touch of rub on a hard left turn, other than that no rub. These tires will go thru anything. I have 27,000 on mine and still have 3/4 or more of the tread left. Awesome tires that look good and perform even better.....:thumbsup

How do you guys get your modifications to show at the bottom of your post??????

You list them in your signature.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to give serious consideration to the Treadwright tires next time I get tires. For that price, I'll run M/T even if I have to replace them in 1/2 the time. And I haven't been able to find a negative review, yet. I've tried hard.

Back