• Register Today It's free!

Motor and Trans swap in a 99 XLT

bdjernigan

Reaction score
City, State
Denton, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 2wd
I have a 99 XLT 2wd. Ive got a plan or an idea for my project beginning the New Year but need some help and advice from yall guys. The V8 swap is planned but I also want to go to an 5sp. What tpye trans will I need? I was thinking about using a Mustang trans, but any help would be grateful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting.... But mine is 2wd and I'm planning on keeping it that way even if I have to stay with the auto but would rather have the stick thou.

Thanks for the clip thou..

The F-150 was available in 2wd.....you could get a trans from a 2wd F-150. You can ignore the talk about transfer cases in that thread. The transmission stuff is the same whether it is 2wd or 4wd.

OK if the F-150 trans works, where will I find the clutch pedal assembly? Also what if I use a crate motor, whay cpu will I need to use? With all this project intells, I still want it to pass the NC Inspection also.

Read this post: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2266284&postcount=130

I highly suggest you do your V8 swap with as many stock V8 explorer parts as possible. The best way to go about this is to purchase a wrecked V8 explorer, 99-01 model in your case. You will end up with a factory grade installation. I am not sure what you need to have for inspection as there is none in my state. The V8 explorer PCM can be reprogrammed using a SCT flash tuner to remove the automatic transmission controls. This allows the engine to run correctly with a manual trans.

I plan to do the 2wd f-150 trans at some point because I am getting sick of my auto trans.

Back