• Register Today It's free!

motor question

upnorth4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Alpena Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer e.b.
i have a 94 explorer i wanna swap out the 4 liter that it has now for a older Ford 302 5.0 with a c6 transmission..i wanna go with the v-8 bcuz i have some cash flow right now and i wanna start with a junk yard motor re-build it then once i have the motor done lift it and invest in new rims and tires so i was wondering if anyone has done this swap or no of anyone who has tried it and what they've had to modify to make it fit...the major reason i want to drop in the v-8 is because no one around here wheel's an explorer let alone a ford and ive fit 31's on their and it will go through more mud then most people around here will believe as is but i wanna get that v-8 and try and fit 36's just to show people but any help or tips that anyone could give me would be a great help because i cant find anything out about this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 94 explorer i wanna swap out the 4 liter that it has now for a older Ford 302 5.0 with a c6 transmission..i wanna go with the v-8 bcuz i have some cash flow right now and i wanna start with a junk yard motor re-build it then once i have the motor done lift it and invest in new rims and tires so i was wondering if anyone has done this swap or no of anyone who has tried it and what they've had to modify to make it fit...the major reason i want to drop in the v-8 is because no one around here wheel's an explorer let alone a ford and ive fit 31's on their and it will go through more mud then most people around here will believe as is but i wanna get that v-8 and try and fit 36's just to show people but any help or tips that anyone could give me would be a great help because i cant find anything out about this
Try searching the forum - many have done the 5.0 swap.

But "no one around here wheel's an explorer let alone a ford" -- I think thats far from the truth :D. We have a few members in MI who wheel plenty. Just browse and you'll see that there are more off-road Explorer rigs than most would guess. And if you really want some wheeling, there are some guys on here that are putting together a run to Badlands in Attica, Indiana at the end of June. Here's the thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187887

i have 35's easily on mine and a v6....the secret is the gears...i have 4.56 gears to even the tire size out to like a stock tire with stock 3.73 gears...but a v8 is a plus....
day1001tw2.jpg

day1003vp7.jpg

the secret is the gears
Ah Tbars.. always bringing up a good point.

The point Tbars brings up is that with numerically larger gears, as opposed to an engine swap, the torque multiplication occurs further down the drivetrain so there's less stress on everything else "upstream" of the ring and pinion gears. Although upnorth4x4 stated that he wants to put not only the 5.0 but also a C6 so the transmission will probably handle the 5.0 power w/o a problem. But of course this probably means that a transfer case swap is also required, along with new driveshafts for the new length of the engine/trans/t-case package.

izwack, stop it, you are making me drool with all this 5.0 upgrade chatter, lol :D

Hey how much lift is on that explorer? Tbars 5.5?
Ahah oh nose! Not the "how much lift" question! Now tbars is going to choke and say "umm.. hmmmm.. umm.. crap! Uhhh.. I'll get back to you tomorrow". Ehehe. But in all honesty, I say this cauz in most cases its hard to tell exactly how much lift there is and most people dont even bother measuring. I mean just look at tbar's gangaster lean, its going to be difficult to find an exact measurement with that :D. In most cases, the only measurement is whether or not it was enough to clear "that" rock :)

LOL oh wait, I just remembered, we're hijacking this guy's thread! We're all gonna burn in hell!

Ah Tbars.. always bringing up a good point.

Although upnorth4x4 stated that he wants to put not only the 5.0 but also a C6 so the transmission will probably handle the 5.0 power w/o a problem. But of course this probably means that a transfer case swap is also required, along with new driveshafts for the new length of the engine/trans/t-case package.

another option ive thought of is instead of finding just a junk yard engine and transmission is finding a complete truck that still runs for cheap with the 5.0 and a c6 transmission but then also use the front and rear axles so that would take care of the transfer case problem, then just scrap and part out the whats left of that truck. after i get done with the motor tranny and axle swap also i want to fit 36" cooper discoveries on so i was wondering if anyone has these tires or similar tires and how big of a lift i would have to put in i just want big enough to fit with a little bit of trimming

If you put a v8 in you will find it easier if you also do a BL to give you more clearance in the engine compartment. To get real fancy do your measurments for the output of the driveshaft to the rear end and modify the radiator support so you don't have to have the drive shafts (front and rear)lengths changed also the BL and even a suspension lift will also aid in oil pan clearance. Do your homework before starting this project. I put a 351Win mine with an AOD tranny and transfer case out of a full size 1986 bronco, very difficult, stay with the 302

Back