• Register Today It's free!

Motor Swap ? 91 eddie bauer

firefighter7127

Reaction score
City, State
Salisbury NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
i have a 1991 4x4 v6 eddie bauer edition explorer...my question is...what year models can i get a motor out of that will drop right in with no problems...im sure 91-94 you can...but what about newer years? also i may replace the transmission as well...in that case i can get a motor and trans together so the trans mounting up wont be a problem..thanks!

I have a 2000 OHV in my truck. I have 15000 with no real issues. On the OBD-II trucks, you will have to swap all the sensors out and the oil pan if the low oil sensor is not in there already. Also you can swap out the cam possition sensor with the drive gear needed to drive the oil pump unless your truck has one. Mine didn't(CPS). Just remember, you need something in there to drive the oil pump! You will also have to use the flywheel if you are using a newer motor as they have more bolts holding them on. Do some searching on engine swaps. As far as using a newer trans, they are computer controlled and would probably be to much of a hassel to try and adapt the newer trans. All sensors will need to be swapped if you are going from OBD-I to OBD-II. There is a junkyard here where you can get a long block for around 100 bucks plus core which isn't much. Just remember before you do the swap RESEARCH! Also, if you have never done this before, I used a silver sharpie and numbered both sides of each connector. I had no confusion when I put it back together. You will also need to swp the complete harness on the motor if going from OBD-I to OBD-II. Hope this helps.

Back