Motor Tranny And Rear End Swap From 96 To 95 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motor Tranny And Rear End Swap From 96 To 95

MBeaston

Reaction score
City, State
Dunkirk, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4X4
Ok Title Says It All.... I pulled the engine transmission transfer case and rear end out of a 96 ford explorer sport it is a 4.0 just like mine with just way less mileage... Im just wondering what kind of issues am i gonna run into when i drop everything back into my 95 xlt and should i change the pcm out between the two?

Update

I Have Noticed A Few Differences Like The Throttle Position Sensor Is Different... Do I Need To Change Out My Intake And Plenum With The One From My Original Engine And Can Someone Tell Me If A 96 4.0 Has An 8 Bolt Flywheel Or A Six Bolt?

As far as I know unless you want to swap the wiring harnesses you'll have to keep the '95 PCM. The '95 is OBD1, (at least my June '95 Exp is) the '96 is OBD2.

I don't know if the two engines have the same harness or not.

Don't know about the flywheel.

I would swap as much as possible from the 95 to the 96. I think swapping the intake and plenum is a good idea. The sensors are different, so stick with the 95 set up.

The drivelines (trans-T/C-axles) are the exact same thing in both years, no worries there.

It is certainly do-able to use a newer engine in your 95, but the OBDII stuff is going to have to be deleted for the OBDI. No biggie :)

Back