• Register Today It's free!

Motor/trans mods to '91 XLT

churdzan

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OHio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
My name is Chris. I own a "91 Ford Explorer XLT which was purchased as my first car (I'm 21 now). I'm a college student at the OHIO State University so between a relatively inexpensive school and living at home - with access to a great deal of tools - I have some extra money. I also own a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited which I am selling so I will have even more extra money. This explorer of mine is beaten to ****, inside and out but still runs good even with 170,000+ miles and I love the car, flashly white jeeps are not my style which is why I am going back to my explorer. I've been toying with the idea of creating a fast ass street, NOT off road oriented explorer. Not any cutesy ass "xenon" lights or a pretty paint job, just a machine that accelerates quick, will be reliable and fits the term "sleeper" to a tee. To give a vague idea of my goal - an explorer that has decent cornering but extreme straight line acclerating-necessitating a high output motor and trans that can deliver it RELIABLY. I don't believe that an under 6.0 second 0-60 time, as generic as that performance indicator is, is unachievable, especially with 400 or 500 HP.
I have no doubt that you guys out there are much smarter than me in this field of Ford Explorers which is why I am posting this thread. I hope that some of you may find time in your busy schedules to offer me some wisdom to direct me in my path of travel and answer some questions such as 1) SHould I go to a crate motor, bolt on a supercharger, high flow heads to the stock motor? 2)Can the stock trans handle 400 -500 HP and if not, where is one that will work or what do I need to replace to make it work.
This car is a daily driver and will not be open full throttle like a grit ball at every green light. However, I just like to know I have the power if I want to have some fun with a Mustang owner or if my lane merges into the other in 250 ft - I think many of you see my point.
I sincerely appreciate any ideas you may have had and if I am totally on the wrong track, let me know, I am most of the time anyhow!
Thanks,
Chris H.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your best bet will be to do a 5.0L/AOD swap. The stock V6 can be built to pupm plenty of power, but the stock auto tranny can't take it. Do a search for "troll" and check out the street truck forum for more information on how to make a fast X.

but troll has a second gen explorer.......

First off, I will tell you that this is just not a good idea. With a second gen, maybe. But a first gen? No way. They can't be lowered easily, the front suspension isn't exactly built for racing, the trannies are awful (doesn't really matter much), and they are about as aerodynamic as a brick.

Am I being negative? Maybe a little, but I really don't think you wanna go this route.

I wouldn't recomend it either with a 1st gen, the suspension on a 1st gen is made for pure off-roading; not street driving for the power your looking at, and the trans would never hold up to that power, you'd have to get a tans built from a company like Lenn-Tec to handle that power reliably. You would have a very hard time fitting anything larger than a 5.0 V8 under the hood also which isn't easy fitting itself but can be done.

Your better off selling the 1st gen and combining that money with the Cherokee and buying a second gen with the 5.0 V8 and going from there.

Originally posted by mrboyle
Your best bet will be to do a 5.0L/AOD swap. .

Correction: "Your best bet would be to do a 5.0 and 4R70W swap"

if you are gonna be selling the jeep, you might as well just sell the explorer too and get a 1996 Explorer 5.0

Good Luck,
Al

bricks are more aerodynamic than explorers.. explorers are as aerodynamic as a parachute

A few idea's and correctoins....

First of all,, you can get bigger then a 5.0 liter in a 1st gen explorer,, (351), if i was going to do it,, i would probably build the motor simalure to how i have done my 94' 4.0 and then also add a vortech super charger and NOS. that would get you near that,, you CAN actuly get the A4LD built to hold up,, i have had mine done here in PA. by a guy who is probably the best tranns guy i know. however,, for the 5-6 hundred horse range, yeah your best bet would be to swap tranns. and as stated before,, may as well go to a 5.0,, here's another thought,, with the ease of a 5.0 swap,, a 347 stroker built up and droped in would do you VERY well,, (with the tranns to hold up to it also) and maybe if that wasnt enough add a blower to it. you would deffinitly be there.
the rear end would hold up,, but,, wouldnt be a bad idea to go ahead and build a 9inch for it.
if your EX isnt 2wd,, maybe get some 2wd ranger i beams or something, to save weight in the front and get a better handle on the road.
with the proper camber bushings the 1st gen ex's arnt hard to lower corectly.
yes there about as arrow dinamic as a barn door,, BUT,, the 2nd gens arnt a whole lot better,, not for the kind of street running your talking about.
good luck man.
i have a 5.0 in my bronco2,which is bored .30 over and nicly modded, if it ever goes i plan to build it into a 347 stroker,, i personaly beleave that would be the best way to go for what your talking about as well.

First off lets hit reality, a 4.0 OHV won't flow enough air to support 400-500 hp nor will the cast crankshaft hold that kinda power.

Ok,now thats out of the way. You say you want a red light racer. The 4.0 is a good choice, it has a powerful bottom end and with some good camshaft selection and improved rear end gearing can be made to hang with some quick vehicles. I'm not saying your gonna outrun 700hp porshe's but how many do you pull up against everyday?

With a 170K on the clock your probably needing a good rebuild with some quality components. Forged are great but not entirly nessecary unless you plan on running large amounts of boost or nitrous. I know people with stock cast pistons racing them every weekend with 100-125hp shot and doing great! So, after a solid bottom end build up I'd put my money in the heads, camshaft, and intakes. Get the Comp Cams 410 cam, couple it with a good port job on both the intake and heads and you should be good to go. Don't miss out on the small bolt-ons. A 70mm mass air and 66mm throttle body are a must. I wouldn't do the headers unless you have a supercharger about to bolt on.
Finish this combo out with a set of either 3:73's or 4:10 gears in the rear end and you'll be good to go. If your trannys weak then you'll need to have it checked out, preform a search on this topic as it has been covered quite a few times.
Don't give up on the 4.0! It may not be a 347 but its in there and its different!
Later Doug904.

Back