Motor & transmission interchangeable on a 95 Aerostar with E-4WD & 94 Explorer 4WD? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motor & transmission interchangeable on a 95 Aerostar with E-4WD & 94 Explorer 4WD?

mdave1956

Reaction score
City, State
knoxville tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
:salute: Will a 1994 Explorer A4LD 4X4 work in a 1995 Aerostar E-4WD? I found one with the 4.0L motor for $450. It has 120,000 miles. I can hear it run and drive it. What do I look for. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are interchangeable if you have a 4.0L OHV engine like the Explorer. The 3.0L bell housing is different. The extension housing on the transmission is the same on both the E-4WD Aerostar & 4WD Explorer.

yes I have the same motor too sorry I miss spelled the heading I should have said 1995 aerostar with A AWD what should I look for when I look at it don't have the money to be wrong about it

Make sure that the transmission fluid is red (not black), and does not have a burned smell. Check the seals for leaks. You could check the bands with a torque wrench to make sure that they are not broken. Be careful not to break them in the process. Check the vacuum line going to the modulator for leaking transmission fluid.

OK thank you will do Oh theres a modulator on it I didn't see any on mine but I didn't look good

I ran into an issue when I swapped my A4LD from a 95 aerostar to a 92 Ex. The shift arms are different and had to be swapped.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273041

I will be adding pics to that thread soon to help it make more sense.

Other than the shift arm, the trans swap was straight across. Also the motor swap would be straight across.

I could move that thread into this section since it has to do with Aerostar/Explorer compatibility if it's OK with you. Sometimes people come into this section to see what they could swap between both vehicles.

Sounds like a good idea

Back