• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Motor Trend 2001 SUV of the Year Goes To (Drumroll, Please...)

FlyAU

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 GLI, 2013 Escape
Motor Trend's 2001 Sport/Utility of the Year: Acura MDX

001020suv.jpg

On October 23, Motor Trend magazine announced the selection of the Acura MDX as the 2001 Sport/Utility of the Year. Nine editors of Motor Trend conducted the biggest sport/utility test ever with 12 vehicles withstanding the rigors of 10 tough tests.

"We pushed each SUV contender to the limit," said C.Van Tune, editor in chief of Motor Trend. In the combined editors' judgment "no other new or substantially revised sport/utility vehicle offers the Acura's mix of seven-passenger convenience, large-load capacity, crisp on-road dynamics, impressive off-and all-road capability, excellent build quality, a strong and efficient powertrain, high feature content, and exceptional value."

Now in its third year, the annual Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year has become the most important and prestigious award in the SUV category. "We are honored to receive this distinguished award," said Acura executive vice president Dick Colliver. "The MDX is the first SUV to deliver the sport and utility with no compromise and this award validates this achievement."

The complete report on the 2001 Sport/Utility of the Year can be found in the December issue of Motor Trend, on sale October 31, and additional coverage will be posted at http://www.motortrend.com. In addition, television coverage of the testing will be aired on the Speedvision network in November (consult your local listings).
2001 SUV of the Year Contenders
  • Acura MDX
  • BMW X5
  • Ford Escape
  • Ford Explorer Sport
  • GMC Yukon XL
  • Hyundai Santa Fe
  • Infiniti Qx4
  • Pontiac Aztek
  • Mazda Tribute
  • Mitsubishi Montero
  • Toyota RAV4
  • Toyota Sequoia

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Cameron

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Streamwood, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
What they don't tell you is the price of each SUV. Apparently they don't take this into consideration.

Acura MDX $34,370
BMW X5 $49,400
Ford Sport $23,860

So, you tell me. Would you rather have an X5 or a Sport and $26,000 in your pocket? I would hope that at $11,000 higher price tag the MDX is better then the Sport and at $26,000 the BMW is better then the Sport.

Skippman

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Navajo
I wonder, am I going to start seeing people in Acura's and Beemers cruising down the trails at Moab?

NAAAAAAHHHHHHH......

bluescat

Reaction score
City, State
Baldwin, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 X Sport 4X4
Trucks? Not!

I just read that the new Volvo SUV, due to be released in 2002/2003 will be based on the Ford Focus frame? These late entries like the Acura (nee Honda) and the BMW not only cost a lot more, they are not trucks. They are basically compact car frames with the addition of a station wagon treatment. The Fords will be around long after all these pretenders are thrown into the crusher.

FlyAU

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 GLI, 2013 Escape
Re: Trucks? Not!

Originally posted by bluescat
I just read that the new Volvo SUV, due to be released in 2002/2003 will be based on the Ford Focus frame? These late entries like the Acura (nee Honda) and the BMW not only cost a lot more, they are not trucks. They are basically compact car frames with the addition of a station wagon treatment. The Fords will be around long after all these pretenders are thrown into the crusher.

I agree. Motor Trend used to consider SUVs in their Truck of the Year competition, but now so many are built off car platforms that they can't call them trucks anymore. Even the term SUV has to be applied loosely.