Motorcraft® SW6292 steering wheel radio controls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft® SW6292 steering wheel radio controls

08harleyf350

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer EB
My 2007 Ford explorer Eddie Bauer edition came with a blank black plate on the right of the steering wheel.
I want to add the radio controls to my vehicle but I'm not sure if I need a wire harness or if it's already there? Or will the new switch even operate the radio since it wasn't factory installed?
Has anyone installed this on their explorer, part # sw6292 radio control switch?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am trying to do this and need help also

I am trying to do this and need help also
I took my blank black plate off the right hand side of steering wheel and see no wire harness to hook the control switch into.
I'm beginning to wonder if we are SOL (s*it out luck).

I would check if there is a different steering wheel harness for models with and w/o. I f you see more than 1 part number, then you may need the whole harness.

On the 3rd Gens, as well as Expeditions that used the same buttons, the clockspring was wired the same, but the harness in the steering wheel was different... I would operate on the premise that it's the same way in the 4th gens as well.

In short, you'd need the switch and steering wheel harness from one with both switch panels, and possibly also the other switch panel.

Here's the thread I made when I switched my 3rd gen to add the radio switches: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/steering-wheel-switch-upgrade.466483/

Back