Motorcraft FL-820S Oil Filter Cutaway Comparison | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft FL-820S Oil Filter Cutaway Comparison

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've always used Motorcraft oil filters (good enough for Ford, good enough for me). However I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil, because I can get 12 months/15,000 miles out of an oil change and with as many vehicles as I maintain it makes my life easier. The problem is that I figure the Motorcraft oil filters are only good for a max of 7,500 miles, so I change the filters 1/2 way through the oil change interval. This is kinda a PITA. So this time around I'm thinking about trying the new Purolator filter that's supposed to be good for 15,000 miles (typically most of my vehicles don't travel more than 10,000 miles per year) or the Mobil 1 EP filter. Of course they are both more than twice the price of the Motorcraft oil filter, so no cost savings there, other than the quart of oil I loose 1/2 way the interval.

Good point koda. Interesting Purolator makes Motorcraft oil filters. Second link above. (Oil Filters Revealed)

Has anyone used a larger filter? I found I could fit a 2 quart filter on all my cars.

Back