• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Motorcraft FL-820S Oil Filter Cutaway Comparison

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I've always used Motorcraft oil filters (good enough for Ford, good enough for me). However I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil, because I can get 12 months/15,000 miles out of an oil change and with as many vehicles as I maintain it makes my life easier. The problem is that I figure the Motorcraft oil filters are only good for a max of 7,500 miles, so I change the filters 1/2 way through the oil change interval. This is kinda a PITA. So this time around I'm thinking about trying the new Purolator filter that's supposed to be good for 15,000 miles (typically most of my vehicles don't travel more than 10,000 miles per year) or the Mobil 1 EP filter. Of course they are both more than twice the price of the Motorcraft oil filter, so no cost savings there, other than the quart of oil I loose 1/2 way the interval.

swshawaii

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
Good point koda. Interesting Purolator makes Motorcraft oil filters. Second link above. (Oil Filters Revealed)

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
Has anyone used a larger filter? I found I could fit a 2 quart filter on all my cars.