Motorcraft Transmission Filter - 1999 4.0 SOHC 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft Transmission Filter - 1999 4.0 SOHC 4WD

albator

Reaction score
City, State
Bonny Doon, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Which filter should I use?
I am trying to sift through the different options. So far I have found:

F5TZ-7A098-B
XL2Z-7A098-DA
FT-112
FT-134

Motorcraft or aftermarket?
Where to buy? Ford dealer, rock auto, ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@albator

Rock Auto shows these choices - and it seems the difference as THEY state it is 4 speed VS 5 speed.

Link: 1999 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER 4.0L V6 Filter | RockAuto

WIX 4 Speed is: 58955

58955__ra_p.jpg

WIX 5 Speed is: 58841

58841__ra_p.jpg

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code
5% Discount Code: ACE4B6982A855D
Expires: April 17, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount.
Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

Thanks for the discount code! What a nice surprise. I was going to buy a bunch of stuff from rock auto, I’m glad you gave me that coupon. Thanks.

my transmission is 5r55e, 5 speed.

you think it’s ok to go with aftermarket? Not motorcraft?

@albator,

No problem w/ the Discount Code.

OK - WIX is a Tier One filter manufacturer for the Big Three as well as Caterpillar, Peterbuilt, Kenworth, International, Volvo Construction Equipment, Case, John Deere, yada, yada, yada...

Yeah - it'll do ;)

Plus you get a new pan gasket, o-rings, and mounting bolt w/ WIX

Welcome to the forum!

For the future readers: there are 2 types of transmission, 4 speed and 5 speed.
The filters look different, as seen on the picture from "fast_dave".

I have the 5 speed, and there are 2 different filters. The only difference is the pickup tube.
4WD have a deeper transmission pan, and a plastic pickup tube sticks out.
2WD don't have any pickup tube, the filter is flat.

There are many different part numbers and codes, but I could find the right filter using the picture.

The trans pan ‘filter’ doesn’t really filter much. It’s a very permeable media. It keeps larger chunks and bits out. OEM vs aftermarket doesn’t matter, IMO.

If the trans is in good shape and you want to keep it that way, consider installing an inline external filter between the radiator or external cooler and the return line on the trans. I am in the process of doing just that. I read that the pan filters are good to maybe 120 microns at best, and a spin on oil filter is an order of magnitude better, and easy to replace regularly.

Thanks!
My other car is a Nissan Leaf, so stepping back into the world of ICE feels like traveling to ancient times...

I see you're in the East Bay? I hope you're doing well.
I have been in lockdown for a few weeks, so this is a great time to work on the truck!

Interesting! Tell me more!

I have taken down the bumper, to replace the rubber hoses connecting the transmission cooler, and to install a front hitch, so that area is already open and accessible.

The trans pan ‘filter’ doesn’t really filter much. It’s a very permeable media. It keeps larger chunks and bits out. OEM vs aftermarket doesn’t matter, IMO.

If the trans is in good shape and you want to keep it that way, consider installing an inline external filter between the radiator or external cooler and the return line on the trans. I am in the process of doing just that. I read that the pan filters are good to maybe 120 microns at best, and a spin on oil filter is an order of magnitude better, and easy to replace regularly.

For the future readers: there are 2 types of transmission, 4 speed and 5 speed.

For reference, if you don't know which transmission you have, look at the shape the transmission pan.

The transmission pan will follow the outline of the pan gaskets - which are pictured in the 2nd post.

Permacool 1701, some 1/2” NPT to 3/8” hose barb fittings (Home Depot), and an FL1A and you’re good to go. Run it in line between the trans cooler and the trans return line. Pay attention to the flow arrows on the 1701.

What are the torque specs?
I heard the 23 bolts inside are 8 ft-lb or 97 in-lb. Is that right?
What about the outside bolts? Same torque? That seems low.

8 ft-lb is probably right. It doesn't take much to seal up those types of gaskets, and too much torque will deform the flanges and make it leak forever.

If you use an external filter, I would be extra careful about the installation - if the filter leaks, a fitting breaks, or a hose gets chafed through, the transmission will pump all 15 quarts of ATF onto the road, and you'll burn up the transmission (at worst) or be stranded (at best).

Personally I would change the internal filter, give it a fresh charge of fluid, and call it a day. Drain the pan and refill every month or so for the next six months (or use one of those dipstick pumps if you don't have a drain plug). You'll have 90% fresh fluid by the end of it and no extra single points of failure. The OEM Mercon fluid and in-pan filter was good for many years; the newer Mercon V fluid is better will last even longer.

The old fluid looked real nice, dark red. The filter looked good too, dark red. The pan did not have debris, just fine sludge, gray, at the bottom of the pan and on the magnet. It seems the previous owner tool great care of it.

All sounds good

Yes, routing is very important. Mount the adapter securely, use oil-resistant thread sealant on the fittings, and double clamp the hoses (new transmission rated hoses) if you can fit two clamps. Make sure none hangs where road debris can hook it.

Sludge is fine. Fine, gray sludge is normal. If you see a lot of ‘hairs’ on the magnet, that is friction material. That’s less ideal.

Back