Motorcraft wheel bearings (Made in China now) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft wheel bearings (Made in China now)

kydirtscooter

Reaction score
City, State
ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited 4x
Just a heads up for Ford (Motorcraft) bearings. Ford updated numbers on the front and rear wheel bearing "kits," both Chinese now. Prices have gone down significantly compared to the previous offerings.

Front wheel bearing part number has been superseded from 4L2Z-1104-AA which is an OE design level bearing "kit" including brake anchor plate bolts and bearing flange bolts (both with threadlocker applied and grade marked on the top) and ABS sensor pigtail.

The new shorthand number is still HUB-67 but prefix is G2MZ. The new front unit bearing assembly is now a "service level" design and no longer has Timken stamped on the inner seal tin, no longer is "majority content made in USA," has a glued in ABS sensor with allen bolt, and no longer has the bolt grade stamped into the hardware (still includes anchor plate and flange bolts).

The rear bearings used to be only available as a separate item from the hub and retaining clip. The OE design specification was for an *** bearing made at various EU plants (often Italy). Within the last few years Ford concurrently offered *** bearings and also a Chinese bearing, hub and retaining clip as a kit. As you may very well guess, the kit was only slightly more than the bearing itself.

This simply serves to hopefully save someone a trip to the dealer for parts expecting the Timken front unit bearing in the package and *** sealed taper bearing for the rear. Ford decided to offer kits made in china.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to SKF, Timken doesn’t make the front style bearings, they are all sourced. Timken only makes roller style bearings, such as the rear and what’s found on older vehicles.

The CRS rear bearing kit we just installed is stamped Korea.....

The OEM Ford rear bearings (only) for the gen 3 Explorer have, for years (and as long as I can remember), been stamped "Made in Korea."

@Number4, I just replaced my '04 XLT front bearings with Timken branded hub units, they were definitely stamped Timken on the bearing races. And they were half the Motocraft price!

They fit perfectly and I was even able to save myself the effort or running the ABS sensor wire through awkward places - just took the new sensors off the new hubs and reused the old ones - no issues.

I know the Moog's use different front wheel hub ABS sensors (not compatible with OEM), based on a video @ SMA auto's YouTube channel (Eric O.).

Save your new (Timken) wires just in case . . . .

According to SKF, Timken doesn’t make the front style bearings, they are all sourced. Timken only makes roller style bearings, such as the rear and what’s found on older vehicles.

Front and rear are tapered bearings

Back