• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Mountain bikes

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
I'm looking to buy a new bike. About 5 years ago i was really into BMX racing and had a powerlite (old offshoot of GT, now defunct) and it was amazing.

I want to get into mountain biking, maybe 10-20 mile distances i'm guessing. As far as what bikes are out there, i have no idea and that's where i need help. What is a good brand to look at? What style bike do you think i need? I have no idea.

I've priced a few Downhill bikes at about $4000. Not looking to spend that much, but do i really have a choice? Thanks for any help.

BTW i'm 6' tall, i know height factors into bike sizes, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
I'm starting to get into it, I just recently got a new bike. It's just a cheap mountain bike, but its still a good time. Rode 20 miles yesterday, it was great. I think I might enter in a race this summer, and hopefully get a nicer bike soon, if I get serious.

You don't need to spend $4000, and defiantly wouldn't recommend it until you know it is something you want to do. You can get a good bike for >$1000, and it would be good to start on/ see if you like it.

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
I'm definitely not looking to spend 4000 on a bike, my explorer only cost 4300. I was thinking maybe less than $600? Is this possible? A buddy of mine has a nice specialized but i don't know how much it was. Thanks for the input.

just for fun i'm going to throw a picture in here...this is what i've had for about 5 years, no problems whatsoever, very light, rode the crap out of it:
1143219411_power.JPG

(not my bike but same thing)

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Shop the LBS (local bike shops), my friend picked up an IronHorse Yakuza Chimpira for about 40% of its original price!

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
That's what i plan on doing tomorrow, there are a couple great ones around here. I've been doing a lot of reading in the last hour, and it seems like prices are heavily influenced by model year...hopefully i can find a good one from last year or something on sale.

How about clipless vs. platform pedals? Like i said before, i had a BMX bike and did a lot of jumping and crazy stuff with it so i'm fine with those. Is there really a big advantage if you're already used to platform?

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
THis is the best time to buy a bike, just like cars they try to blow out last years model at 30-40% off.

Unless there is a new found technology, which there hasen't been a breaktrough in recent years, they older model will save you $$$

Now the hard part, the term "mountain bike" is very generic, what do you want to use it for? Freeride? cross country? or downhill?

for the distances you describe any of the models will suffice, since you were a bmx'er, then you may also want one that can do a "little more", so best bet is free-ride.

As for your stature & weight, don't be caught off guard by a larger bike. I stand 5'11" and use a bike that is 16.5" frame size, most companuies go from 16.5 to 18.5, for some reason they skip 17.5".

Also depending on the ride you want you need to decide if you want to go "hardtail" front suspension only, or "Full" dual suspension.

If you have any specific questions just ask.

Ken

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
I know how you can get a nice one cheap if you look around...
558395_lg.gif

:p:

*disclaimer...I do not condone illegal actions in any manner

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
LOL, or just a bic pen if you have a Kryptonite lock.

If you ever get a decent bike, never leave it out of sight, thanks to guys like Charlie. :p:

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Good point about the size -- this depends on what type of riding you do. My Specialized Enduro is (I think) a 19" frame -- very large but really helps in the long fast rides because you can stretch out and really extend your legs. However, my Specialized BigHit is I think a 16" frame because most downhill and urban rides are done more sitting up with a vertical back posture (the taller high travel forks pretty much forces you to sit straight up).

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
LOL, or just a bic pen if you have a Kryptonite lock.

If you ever get a decent bike, never leave it out of sight, thanks to guys like Charlie. :p:
Naw, not people like me. There's a reason I had to get a new one...I'm still pissed about it, too.:fire:

Edit (to get back on topic): Seeing the post above, I guess I have a lower end trailbike. So far I have been happy with it, it is a Giant Rincon. Average store it will run ~$400

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
Good point about the size -- this depends on what type of riding you do. My Specialized Enduro is (I think) a 19" frame -- very large but really helps in the long fast rides because you can stretch out and really extend your legs. However, my Specialized BigHit is I think a 16" frame because most downhill and urban rides are done more sitting up with a vertical back posture (the taller high travel forks pretty much forces you to sit straight up, and huge caster angles).

Hmmm, looks like a bit of "brand loyalty"?? :D heheh, just joking. Both bikes are great, Specialized has a great product line. I actuall ownd a Specialized Allez carbon fibre, before someone that hads some special tools liberated it.

I'm partial to Rockey Mountain, but own Trek's now.

remember, if you get a decent bike, make sure you get added insurance to cover it, or the company will give you the run around about it if it goes missing.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Some factors:
Definitely looking for full suspension.
In my area, there is a lot of erosion so i would be hitting roots and ditches all the time.
I don't want to spend $1000
I think the problem you're going to run into here is that there are going to be so many opinions and there are so many different types of riders.

Personally, unless you need it, I'd stick with a hard tail -- especially since you're coming from the BMX world. There are shocks out there that "lockout" for a hard-tail feel, but they are either expensive or just arent really "lockouts". Bunny hopping, for example, with a full suspension bike just isnt the same and takes a few rounds to get a feel for the setup (every shock is different). I'm so used to a full suspension that one time I got my hands on a BMX (again) and tried to bunny hop it, yeah I went over the handle bar.

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
Good point IZwack, hardtails will work well toom just less softness in the ride, but will also allow you to transfer more power to the pedels.

This article seems describe exactly what i want...a "trailbike"
http://mountainbike.about.com/od/mountainbikeglossary/g/Trailbike_def.htm
What exactly is a free ride bike?

Some factors:
Definitely looking for full suspension.
In my area, there is a lot of erosion so i would be hitting roots and ditches all the time.
I don't want to spend $1000

A good choice then is a Trek, Fuel Ex, they are great cross country "trail" bikes

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/mountain_full_suspension/fuel_ex/fuelex7/

or a rockey mountain element 10 or 30
http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/element/index.aspx

you do know that GT makes a good line too?

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
Haha, I've had a few bad falls myself but never from bunny hopping. Hardtail is still an option, i've just been reading how great full suspension is. I actually didn't even think to relate a new bike to my riding experience so IZwack's advice makes a lot of sense.

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
you do know that GT makes a good line too?
speaking of brand loyalty, i'd love to have a GT again.

edit: The trek is out of my price range. How much do the rockys typically cost? the site doesn't say.

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
If you're luckey enough to have a dealer in the area, RMB's element 10's go for just under $1000, and add about 20% per model you go up.

Nicely built bikes, I've actually seen their factory a few years back.

Best thing is go to a big bike shop that carries a few brands, and try them out. Take them for a test drive. You will notice certain stores carry on certain brands though.

Mountain bikes are all modular, the main differences are the frames, from there they build the bikes with pretty much the same compoments, just which ones, Suntour, Shimano, etc...

drumlikebonzo

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 E.B. 4x4 V6 sohc
for full suspenion

for a good full suspension bike you looking to spend at least $1000. But i was in the same boat as you and i bought a specialized FSR xc and i loved it until it was stolen from me...(3rd one in 4 years). I used to ride ironhorse and fuji and gary fisher. My favorite was the ironhorse espicially for the price.

# 1 and 2 tips

if you keep it in you garage make sure you keep it locked up at all times. people around my area where driving up and down streets during the day with a mess of garage door openers and they would open a couple garages and steal a bunch of stuff out of it. and number two if you buy a good lock many times they have an insurance policy for like $10 or less a month just incase. i wish i did that.

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
If you're luckey enough to have a dealer in the area, RMB's element 10's go for just under $1000, and add about 20% per model you go up.

Nicely built bikes, I've actually seen their factory a few years back.

Best thing is go to a big bike shop that carries a few brands, and try them out. Take them for a test drive. You will notice certain stores carry on certain brands though.

Mountain bikes are all modular, the main differences are the frames, from there they build the bikes with pretty much the same compoments, just which ones, Suntour, Shimano, etc...

Did a little more digging, found the element 10 hangs around $1000 on a good day. I had no idea these were so expensive compared to basic BMX bikes. I think mine was $300 when i bought it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
for a good full suspension bike you looking to spend at least $1000. But i was in the same boat as you and i bought a specialized FSR xc and i loved it until it was stolen from me...(3rd one in 4 years). I used to ride ironhorse and fuji and gary fisher. My favorite was the ironhorse espicially for the price.

# 1 and 2 tips

if you keep it in you garage make sure you keep it locked up at all times. people around my area where driving up and down streets during the day with a mess of garage door openers and they would open a couple garages and steal a bunch of stuff out of it. and number two if you buy a good lock many times they have an insurance policy for like $10 or less a month just incase. i wish i did that.

The only problem on those insurance policies is in the fine print, they have to actuall have proof that the lock was broken into, most time people take the locks with them, that's what happened to me therefore no coverage.