• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Mountain bikes

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
I live in a pretty good neighborhood and have a locking garage and shed but a good bike lock is already on my list.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
trj360 said:
This article seems describe exactly what i want...a "trailbike"
http://mountainbike.about.com/od/mou...ilbike_def.htm
What exactly is a free ride bike?

Some factors:
Definitely looking for full suspension.
In my area, there is a lot of erosion so i would be hitting roots and ditches all the time.
I don't want to spend $1000

You can get a great bike for <$1000

A good choice then is a Trek, Fuel Ex, they are great cross country "trail" bikes

And by great bike I mean the Trek Fuel EX! I bought an '07 Trek Fuel EX 6 on closeout in August and I ride the hell out of it here in Colorado. I usually ride with guys that are on $2k-$4k bikes (Yeti, Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Turner, Specialized, etc.) and I have no problem keeping up (I usually beat them uphill).

See if you can find an '07 Trek Fuel EX 6. For $950 it's probably the best deal on a brand new (w/ factory warranty) 4" trailbike I've seen (thus the reason I bought it). :thumbsup::cool::D

Attachments

• Mtn biking Bobcat Ridge smaller.JPG
    Mtn biking Bobcat Ridge smaller.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 139

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Oh yeah... always remember that big money spent on a bike does not return an amazing mountain biker. While an undergrad at VT I used to ride circles around my friends on high end bikes and I was riding my old chro-mo Diamond Back hardtail from eight grade!

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
For a full suspension that would be tough.

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
For a full suspension that would be tough.

I'm reconsidering that, because I'm so used to BMX bikes with no suspension at all, i think given the price differences and my preferences hard tail is the way to go. Take a look at the bike i posted just before your post. It looks like it'd fit my needs/wants perfectly, and the price seems pretty good.

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
I'm reconsidering that, because I'm so used to BMX bikes with no suspension at all, i think given the price differences and my preferences hard tail is the way to go. Take a look at the bike i posted just before your post. It looks like it'd fit my needs/wants perfectly, and the price seems pretty good.

Oh, I though $1000 was your price point...

I was looking at the Trek 6500/6700 and Gary Fisher (same company as Trek) Tassajara disc (both hardtails). I had always ridden a hard tail and thats what I wanted. Then I test drove my Fuel and decided for only $200 more it would be a great bike.

If you're just getting into mtn biking, get the best hardtail that you can afford. Definitely get disc brakes and a quality fork. Too many people drop unnecessary $$$ on bikes thinking thats what's required to get into the sport.

I got a 4" full suspension b/c I had been riding for years, knew very specifically the type of bike that I wanted, the type of riding that I like and how I wanted the bike to feel.

Keep in mind how the bike fits you is more important than if its a good deal or not. When I'm riding, I use my body to steer/control the bike more than I do the handlebars. Think of it like a great all mountain ski that responds to subtle changes in boot angle/pressure. A mtn bike that fits YOU well will be in tune with your body and you'll find that you can navigate some of the most techinical/gnarly trails out there :thumbsup:

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
Looks good, not bad for the price. Trek is always a good choice they offer a lifetime warranty on their frames too.

Just be weary of the shifters, most likely they will be Deore, if you can get it upgraded to XT's

either than that for the price you can't lose, just make sure you get it fitted right to your size.

Hey Hokie, come up here to Canada sometime, I'll show you some great trails in the Rockies.

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
I'm going out probably tomorrow to look at these. What specifically should i look for no matter what brand/type i get? Hokie, you mentioned disc brakes, I assumed it was a no-brainer so thanks for confirming. Any other components i should really be concerned about?

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Hey Hokie, come up here to Canada sometime, I'll show you some great trails in the Rockies.

Oh man.. don't I know it. Hell the freeride revolution pretty much started in Whistler and I've been to BC and seen some of the great riding around Vancouver...

I love skiing/snowboarding, but mtn biking is quickly becoming a VERY, VERY close second.

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
Oh man.. don't I know it. Hell the freeride revolution pretty much started in Whistler and I've been to BC and seen some of the great riding around Vancouver...

I love skiing/snowboarding, but mtn biking is quickly becoming a VERY, VERY close second.

If you've been to Whistler, Banff & Jasper trails are amazing. I recently started to go to Golden, BC (kicking horse resort) amazing rides, all bike friendy. N.Vancouver has some great hidden rides that locals know about, lotsa work put into them for the government to find out about.

trj360 - disk brakes are the way to go, v-brakes are still used by alot of people that are oldschool. Good luck with your test rides, just remember this is just your first, after you start riding you'll want to uprade some components. Just make sure you try a few bikes, they all feel diferently.

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Any other components i should really be concerned about?

Assuming the bike has disc brakes... (mechanical brakes work just fine, don't let some bike shop try to sell you on more expensive hydraulic brakes)

Get a high quality fork with a lock out or floodgate to take out the bob while climbing (ie; Fox, Rock Shox, Marizzochi...) don't get a Suntour fork

The rear derailleur is probably the next most important component on the bike. If Shimano, it should be no lower than Deore. My bike has a Sram X-7 rear derailleur, so far I've been happy with it (my last bike had Shimano Deore LX). Sram seems to make some pretty quality stuff at better prices than King Shimano. After that I would look at the shifters (rear being more important than the front).

Cheesebrat

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
^^These guys know what they are talking about. I used to race in the NORBA circuit in the X-country class, I currently ride a Specialized S-Works Carbon and RockHopper Pro...
You could always look for a Specialized Rockhopper Disc they run $700msrp you can find them at a shop for about $500 depending on the sale. I have ridden many different bikes over the years and like the Specialized, Trek, and IronHorse brands the best.
Like stated before, make sure the bike fits you and you can use your body to help maneuver it. That is the main key to a good bike/rider combo. Go clipless pedals.( you power the pedal through the whole revolution rather than just on the down stroke, makes you less tired.)

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Go clipless pedals.( you power the pedal through the whole revolution rather than just on the down stroke, makes you less tired.)

Ahh yes, forgot to mention clipless pedals. They are awesome! Just don't come back complaining when your body is all tore up after learning how to get out of them in a "must-jump-off-the-bike" situation ;)

I've gone down with the bike many a time while getting used to my clipless pedals ~ its always the stupid low speed stuff that gets you. Like stopping to lean against a tree and wait for a friend, you'll forget you need to unclip and next thing you know you're laying on your side still clipped into the bike :D

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
Alright, I'm the proud new owner of a Jamis Komodo I. It was $600 (after sales tax) and came highly recommended from an extremely reputable local shop called Pedal Pushers. I've been riding for about 2 hours now and i only came back because it was getting dark. It feels great and looks pretty cool too. They also gave me a free water bottle and a holder for it. (probably cost like $5 anyway)
08_KOMODO1.jpg

It has front and rear Tektro disc brakes, SRAM SX-4 shifter stuff, Maxxis tires, and a damn comfortable seat.
Specs/Official Site:
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/08_bikes/08komodo1.html

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Cool:cool:

Be sure to keep us updated on how you like it!

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
Alright, I'm the proud new owner of a Jamis Komodo I. It was $600 (after sales tax) and came highly recommended from an extremely reputable local shop called Pedal Pushers. I've been riding for about 2 hours now and i only came back because it was getting dark. It feels great and looks pretty cool too. They also gave me a free water bottle and a holder for it. (probably cost like $5 anyway)
08_KOMODO1.jpg

It has front and rear Tektro disc brakes, SRAM SX-4 shifter stuff, Maxxis tires, and a damn comfortable seat.
Specs/Official Site:
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/08_bikes/08komodo1.html

Nice, glad you like it. Hope we helped you in some way. BTW you shouldn't be on your seat too much if you ride it hard. :)

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
Nice, glad you like it. Hope we helped you in some way. BTW you shouldn't be on your seat too much if you ride it hard. :)

You guys definitely did help. If nothing else, i didn't sound like a confused idiot when i went to the store.

BTW i'm liking this new forum.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
speaking of brand loyalty, i'd love to have a GT again.

edit: The trek is out of my price range. How much do the rockys typically cost? the site doesn't say.

I gust got an OS GT BMX bike. I am thinking it is a late 80's early 90's at most.
As far as mountain bike I have a 1994 GT. I am quite fond of it.

If I am not mistaken all GT is made in Japan right now. That may or may not effect your descision.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
BTW if any body has any BMX bikes from the 80's let me know I might buy it from you :D