• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Mountain bikes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Alright, I'm the proud new owner of a Jamis Komodo I. It was $600 (after sales tax) and came highly recommended from an extremely reputable local shop called Pedal Pushers. I've been riding for about 2 hours now and i only came back because it was getting dark. It feels great and looks pretty cool too. They also gave me a free water bottle and a holder for it. (probably cost like $5 anyway)
08_KOMODO1.jpg

A buddy of mine has a Jamis and likes it... haven't ridden it much.

BTW: My gf lives in the Annapolis/Arnold area and I may be coming through there in about 4 weeks. I'd love to check out some of the Maryland mtn biking scene (although I'm sure you'd have to go pretty far west to find good trails)

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
A buddy of mine has a Jamis and likes it... haven't ridden it much.

BTW: My gf lives in the Annapolis/Arnold area and I may be coming through there in about 4 weeks. I'd love to check out some of the Maryland mtn biking scene (although I'm sure you'd have to go pretty far west to find good trails)

The shop i bought the bike from said i was more than welcome to go riding with them, every sunday morning, i forgot where but it's off road. they probably welcome anyone who wants to go.

AspenX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Garland, TX Aspen,Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB 4x4,04 Z06 Corvette
I found this too late to help, but glad your happy. I was going to suggest a full suspension and to check EBay. You can get a 2 or 3 year old $2000 bike for that $600.
Jamis makes a nice bike. The Jamis Dakar is the least expensive full suspension bike, in the real bike (non Next or Mongoose) catagory.
Now get clipless pedals as soon as possible. I like my SPDs, some like Times, and some like Eggbeaters. I think SPDs are good to learn on. I first got Times and couldn't get out of them.
Good luck. Enjoy!

allout

Reaction score
City, State
Nanaimo BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Just found this thread. You made a good choice. It all comes down to how the bike feels to you. I have ridden $8500 bikes all the way down to $500 bikes. Being from BC, I do alot of freeriding and downhill. It is impossible to buy a bike that does everything well. I have 2 bikes. My downhill bike for Whistler, North shore, etc and my freeride bike which is also dual suspension. I own a Rocky mountain slayer for freeriding. It is now 9 years old and still going strong. Your Jamis will do just fine and as stuff breaks or wears out then you can up grade the parts. It is a very addicting sport. Enjoy.

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
The shop i bought the bike from said i was more than welcome to go riding with them, every sunday morning, i forgot where but it's off road. they probably welcome anyone who wants to go.

You crash it yet? :D We all take it easy in our NEW bikes until the first scratch.

Hope to see ya on the trails soon...

Cheesebrat

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I'm glad you found a bike that you like and enjoy riding. Looks good too.

You crash it yet? :D We all take it easy in our NEW bikes until the first scratch.
^^ X2 after that first noticeable crash/scratch you will ride harder...:p:

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC

Hope to see ya on the trails soon...

Haha, no, i've only ridden it for a few hours, i've been working and doing homework pretty much straight through from yesterday when i got it.

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
I just got back from a night bike ride with some friends. You know those posts at the ends of bike paths? Anyway, 2 of the posts had a metal cable going across it, he owned the cable at like 15mph:bsnicker: It was awesome. When he hit it, it threw his chain off the gears:bsnicker::bsnicker:

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
I know ALLL about that place.

Besides, I was hoping no one here would sell to me at collectors prices...

I have a 1995 Wal-Mart "Renegade" X-treme BMX bike i'd be willing to let go for cheap. :D

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
80's only.

and good luck with that :)

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
Alright, just got back from 3 days at Rocky Gap State Park, I went with a friend of mine and we rode their trails there. The actual main trail is called "Lakeside Loop," it's about 5 miles and goes all the way around the lake. It was a really amazing trail, parts were pretty challenging and other parts were easy but very scenic. It was hot as hell but we rode at about 7 every morning so we avoided the worst of the heat. My bike performed better than I expected, had no breakage or anything. Anyone else been to Rocky Gap?

Jarubell

Reaction score
City, State
Was Winnipeg, Manitoba now Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP 92 XLT
Build your own, can't be that hard :D

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
I found this too late to help, but glad your happy. I was going to suggest a full suspension and to check EBay. You can get a 2 or 3 year old $2000 bike for that $600.
Jamis makes a nice bike. The Jamis Dakar is the least expensive full suspension bike, in the real bike (non Next or Mongoose) catagory.
Now get clipless pedals as soon as possible. I like my SPDs, some like Times, and some like Eggbeaters. I think SPDs are good to learn on. I first got Times and couldn't get out of them.
Good luck. Enjoy!

Have personally broken two (2) Jamis Dakar frames... Like the bikes fine although they are too heavy even for the price and their customer service was fine-good in replacing/fixing things, but come on!

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
btw- anyone remotely local to me?

AspenX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Garland, TX Aspen,Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB 4x4,04 Z06 Corvette
Have personally broken two (2) Jamis Dakar frames... Like the bikes fine although they are too heavy even for the price and their customer service was fine-good in replacing/fixing things, but come on!

:rolleyes:Heck, I wouldn't ride one, I've got 2 Sworks. He was looking at spending around $600. My wheels were several hundy more than that.

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
Forgot I even had this thread...I haven't been riding this year as much as I wanted to but I have beaten and ridden the crap out of this bike at Patapsco, Rosaryville, and some bike trails where I live. Hasn't let me down yet. Still stock.