Mountaineer A/C Condensor question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mountaineer A/C Condensor question

RickMar

Reaction score
City, State
N. Andover Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this message.
A few years ago driving a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L I just about melted my A/C compressor …I mean I really fried it so bad the engine would not crank over until I disconnected the belt. I had to bypass the compressor and mickey mouse the system with a shorter belt.

Finally I figured I would get a new compressor and get the A/C running again.
Looking through the service manual there is mention of replacing the accumulator/dryer and to replace the orifice tube if the compressor failed due to internal causes. The remaining components (Evaporator core and Condenser core) need to be cleaned by flushing or filtering..

I have been told my vehicle has a parallel flow condenser, which is nearly impossible to flush when a compressor grinds itself to pieces.
My vehicle also used the one piece hose assembly, with orifice tube...
Along with the new compressor… a condenser, orifice tube and accumulator/dryer need to be used and to flush the remaining parts completely and dry to bare metal.

I am trying to avoid the time consuming work of removing and replacing the condenser.
Could you tell me if you would go with the recommended flushing or replace the condenser?
The manual advises flushing. Any information will be very much appreciated.
Thank you,
Rick

You need to know that any kind of dirt or fragments, no matter how small, is death on an A/C system. There's not supposed to be anything in there but refrigerant and oil. Anything else will destroy your new compressor -quickly. Bite the bullet and pop for the new condensor. Pray you can flush the rest of the system completely

Thank you TomandPat for your advice.
I appreciate it very much.
It's new condenser time for the old 1999 Mountaineer that keeps on ticking with 175,000 miles.
Thank you,
Rick

Back