Mountaineer Headlights

etc

Dead Inside
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2WD
I did a mountie swap on the my explorer, but I apparently didn't get all the hardware.

Each light had three pins. One of them has an orange clip that secures it, but the other have two black things that don't fit snug. I'm pretty sure I'm missing some time of bushing for that.

Could someone be so kind as to snap a picture of what I need to mount the headlights so they aren't loose?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year Mounty did you use? '97 should bolt right up. '98-01 will be different.

Picture thing didn't work too well for me either. haha I just took it apart last night too hookig up the fogs, shoulda snapped some then.

It has a threaded shaft coming off the light and a black screw-on thing that fits into the header panel with a cross pattern to keep it from spinning when adjusting. That black thing is loose inside the header panel.

I used a 98 clip, header panel and all.

That's the bottom-inside adjuster of the driver side headlight. I pulled out the headlight some so you can see the "black screw-on thing".

Attachments

• DSCF4008.jpg
    DSCF4008.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 161

You need the metal clips. They are the same ones used on the explorer headlights as far as I know, so if you still have your old parts, you can steal them.

You push the black piece all the way through, and then a clip slides onto the groove in the black plastic, and locks it against the header panel.

The orange ones just snap into the holes, so you need 4 metal clips in total.

ok
see the "valley" in the black piece?
There is a metal clip, which slides over it, once it (valley) is on engine side of header clip--
The metal clip not only holds the headlamp in place, but also holds b;ack pice from rotating, for adjustment.

Do you need to see one? They are available at autozone-and o'reilly's in the mighty mite help section. (red package)

ok Eric--you type faster than I

I'm pretty sure I kept the hardware for the headlights. Time to rummage the frankenstein truck pile!

edit:

Gah, I chucked them "what am I gonna need these for? I sold the lights".

If you have a picture of them it would help =D then off to autozone it is. Thanks.

Looked through and advanced auto parts/autozone/napa. Didn't find anything that looked usuable. Will check some more stores tomorrow. For Now I ghetto rigged some 1mm pvc tabs to hold it in place.

Pretty much what my pvc ones look like, except the teeth. Thanks man. :thumbsup:

You may have to try an auto body shop or even the dealer.

go grab a few from a junkyard, they probably won't even charge you.

Probably not, I'd just pocket them anyways. Though I doubt the junkyards around here have any front clips on, they get eaten away with the quickness.

Back