• Register Today It's free!

Mountaineer not starting

RockyMount5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer
My wife's truck did not start this morning. She said the battery light was on, and the engine did not turn over. She just heard a clicking sound. I think her battery might have died or alternator. Also, on her console that tells her what her gas mileage is and oil change info, there was a message saying Air Ride not turned on, or something to that effect. Anyone want to give me a hand? I am thinking about jumping her and see what that does. If that does not work, I will take her battery to a local parts shop and have them test it, and test the alternator if I get it running. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try jumping it, if it jumps its most likely the battery. If it doesn't, it's either the starter or the battery cables.

make sure the battery terminals are tightened and are not corroded

I did not need to jump it. The car started up after it was a little bit later in the day. It was kind of cold, however, it was not really much warmer later on. 40-50*. It cranked kind of slow, then started right up and I have not had any more problems with it. The cables are all tight, and look like new. I should go get it checked out still.

Sounds like the battery is reaching the end of its life....

Sounds like bad battery, I would get it replaced before winter comes.

Already done.

Back