Mountaineer Tail lights into an Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mountaineer Tail lights into an Explorer

Huboe

Reaction score
City, State
Emmaus PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004,Explorer,XLT
Hi all

Noob here to the 3rd Gen Explorer (and Fords/4X4's also)..Here's my question..My 04 Explorer XLT (nicknamed Ponce De Leon ) is a great Sport Ute...However he has a few issues..I already fixed the vent selector issue with help from The Forum..Now i'm looking to replace the tail lights ..One is cracked and the other is full of H20! I was wondering if tail lights from an 02-05 Mountaineer would be a direct bolt in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They should fit

Somebody mentioned that there was a slight difference and sizing. What you ought to do is go to the wrecking yard and try moving one from a mountaineer to an explorer and seeing if it works out.

I think there is an extra light socket on each side too. So wiring is different.

Following Number 4's suggestion I went to the junkyard and try to fit Mountaineer tail lights into an explorer. I found these things out. 1 as mentioned there's an extra tail light socket. Two. Though not as important these tail lights are substantially heavier than the Explorer units. And 3 though they meet up with the body fine they overhang the rear bumper on the Explorer by I'd say at least a good almost 3/8 of an inch. Needless to say I didn't purchase them as I didn't feel like swapping my bumper to :p. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Much appreciated :)

I ran mounty taillights on my explorer for a couple weeks because they were both busted when I bought it and the JY only had mounty lights in stock. The mounty tails have a second light up top, but the brake light and the backup light from the explorer harness will twist right into the sockets on the mounty taillights.

I want to say the explorer brake light went into the top socket on the mounty light, and you can either hack the wiring together to get it to work like the mounty light, or you can live with it just not lighting up in the middle.

My advice would be to tap the top brake light for the second light in the mounty tails, so that you have separate bulbs for the brake and tail lights without having to do too much work.

Found these on ebay. Not a bad price. Not Mountaineer, almost as kool for half the work and less $'s in some cases.
15705631321151308841220103228330.jpg

Back