• Register Today It's free!

Mountaineer to Car Transplant

JRMclemore

Reaction score
City, State
El dorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mercury Mountaineer
I love the way my mountaineer (AWD) drives, handles curves and accelerates....

However, I am starting a car build and was looking at engines and transmissions, fwd, rwd, awd, atc.

It finally occurred to me that I'm expecting my car to perform as well as my mountaineer.

(Lightbulb moment) wouldn't a car with 1/2 the weight and much lower COG , perform better?... Yes, Mustang came to mind.

So here's the idea is.......

Weight 2000-2500lbs max
Length 144"
Width. 72.5"
Wheelbase 108"
Track width 62.5"

With the entire system from engine to wheels transplanted from 2007 mountaineer into custom build car.

With the lower weight, center of gravity and better aerodynamics, can I expect better acceleration, higher top end speed, good handling and better mpg.

I'm wearing a pair HD Optimistic Lenses. Please let me know how much reality is being blocked out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ummm, seems like a lot of work, fab, money, time, and pipe dreams.

Or, the quick answer, buy yourself a 2010 up Mustang GT.

The 4th gen Explorer/Mounty is a body on frame vehicle (along with all previous generations) and most cars today if not all are unibody.

Also the 4th gens are all 4wd/RWD,most cars are FWD, exceptions being the Mustang.

A 2010 Stang GT has more power/less weight and obviously better handling than ANY midsize V8 SUV, save for a Porsche Cayenne, maybe (IDK much about those..)

I'm building an '84 Stang coupe...gonna put a 5.0 from a 2017 Mustang in it...eventually. It's a costly project. I've got the shell, the suspension, and the fuel tank thus far. Already 1800 bucks deep LOL.

I'll pay that much again just for the engine and management :O

Thank for your comments.
The plan is to build a car. Using the mountaineer is secondary. The car will be built with or without using the mountaineer.

I've thought of this same idea and almost did it as I had a wrecked 07 V8 4x4 explorer in my hands. My plan was to use the entire frame with drivetrain with a standard cab Ford Ranger body on top. Probably wouldn't weigh much over 3000lbs complete. The body mounts do not line up at all so there is a ton of custom fab to make it all work.

After a few days of googling, I have not been able to find the weight of the body.

Because I have a target weight range between 2000-2500lbs, I need to know what the rolling chassis weight would be.

I am currently thinking that I could remove the body, shorten the frame and build body on frame.

I have seen tube chassis built into, under and round truck cabs. It should be easier to build on frame.

An anorexic Fox Mustang weighs that, with a V8.

Good luck ;)

You'd be better off the v8 swapping a Ford Focus. Use an Explorer frame there's no way to get that light. The engine weighs 650, trans is 300, accessories on engine another 100. Right there your over 1000 and haven't considered tcase, diffs, driveshafts and the frame itself. Id assume the rolling frame by itself with v8 AWD drivetrain would be 2300-2500 lbs.

Sub.
I like the idea
And the non negative comments
:D

Old school, like a V8 powered MG.

You'd be better off the v8 swapping a Ford Focus. Use an Explorer frame there's no way to get that light. The engine weighs 650, trans is 300, .....

Although Mine has the 4.0L V6 , there instant enough weight difference to argue over. Your point accepted.

My weight range of 2000-2500lbs
Really depends on how much weight will be shed when body (interior and running boards as as well ) are removed, shortened frame, a bit from glass reduction, etc.

Because I know how much the frame weighs, Narrowing down the weight reduction of a shortened frame is no problem.

I can not find a weight for the body and all of its panels.

Anyone have the curb weight of a V8 Explorer?

(I have a mid 90's F150 4x4 that weighs less than the 06 in my sig..)

Depending on trim, Engine, 2wd/4wd I think they run between 3850-4300 lbs empty

Depending on trim, Engine, 2wd/4wd I think they run between 3850-4300 lbs empty

I thought I remembered seeing a lot heavier, so I googled it and a 4x4 V8 is 4,760 lbs while a RWD V6 is 4,300. Don’t know where they got their info, but I also don’t know where you got yours.

That's the gross vehicle weight (fully loaded with 4 adults). It's about 700 lbs higher than the actual weight.

My point is, it's got a lot of weight, the frame, engine, trams, etc alone weigh more than a Fox and/or SN95 Mustang.

I'm not sure why the OP is stuck on cutting up a 4th Gen to make a performance car when one could drop a built 5.0 into a Fox or even an SN95 Stang for 1/3 the work and likely half the cost, and still have better handling.

That said, the creation would be unique.

Myself, I'd cut out some wheelbase, throw a first Gen Ranger body...OR, swap in the drive line to a Bronco II ...could you imagine a supercharged 3v Bronco 2? LOL..delicious!

Maybe he wants to for fun and just to say he did it's something I would do

1. I want the challenge
2. I need to use what is available
3. Mustang just doesn't appeal to me.

The body and interior would be removed
(sold if possible).
Frame would be shortened to 10'-12'
(cutaway metal could be repurposed - small trailer ?)
Ride height reduced to 5"
(may have a conflict with front axles)

Length
current 193.4" target 144" reduction 49.4"
Ride height
current 8.2 " target 5 " reduction 3.2"
Roof Height
current 72.8 " target 50 " reduction 22.8"
Wheel base

current 113.7" target 108 " reduction 5.7"
Width
current 73.7 " target 0 " reduction 73.7"
Front track
current 60.9 " target 62 " reduction -1.1"
Rear track
current 61.8" target 62 " reduction -0.2"

Combination of Edmund's and a tape measure.

Someone is attempting something similarish at this very moment, search youtube for "project binky", there's some challenge...

Spent some time under the mountaineer and learned a few things.
  • There is a lot of frame that will not be needed.
  • There are more inches to lower the suspension than I imagined.
  • I need to keep a lot/most of the firewall because of components.
After reading posts here and a few other sites, I'm finding out about issues I had not considered.
  • All grounding straps in the engine bay will be affected when the wall is gone.
  • Swapping from automatic to manual could have computer related issue.
  • Wondering how all of the changes in weight, length, height, etc will affect computer/programing.
  • The engine sits higher than expected. Will have to look at mounts, intake manifolds and radiators...
  • There are many bolt heads sitting lower than the frame.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its doable just depends on your end goals... there is a guy on youtube that did a cutlass with swapped drivetrain from a trailblazer of coarse his build went insane after he found limitations now its full carbon fiber body and 1000hp

you could ditch the whole car idea and go with a 2 door 4wd ranger and be about 99% sure its all gonna fit and work minus the driveshafts and maybe axles that may still need to be custom made

but i know i would love a v8 awd ranger lowered 3 inches and sitting on some 285 18's

Back