MountaineerGreen's Front Suspension Rehab / Diff Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MountaineerGreen's Front Suspension Rehab / Diff Swap

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
After my 1500+ mile drive to Moab, I quickly discovered a tremendous problem with my suspension:

MOAB_089.jpg

It appears that my suspension travel is too great for my CV axle, but only on the drivers side. Thankfully, it only took me three axles to figure this out. :banghead: :rolleyes:

I also discovered during the three times I had my front suspension apart that I need to replace some things.

My inner tie rods have slack.

My outer tie rod ends boots are shot.

My upper ball joints need to be replaced.

So, new parts will be installed and an alignment done ASAP. I feathered my tires pretty badly on the trip home. :(

I am looking for suggestions for limit straps, I was thinking seat belts with two buckles sewn to length or some plastic coated SS cable with crimps??

EDIT- 5-25-07 5:45 PM

I want to clarify something- This is a problem with my suspension, not superlift lift kits. I have found a bent bracket that I didn't find when I installed the lift. This bent bracket has moved my differential to the passenger side slightly, allowing the CV axle to separate. I am going to straighten the bracket and install limit straps for extra security.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SLA = Short and Long Arm = Control Arms = A-arms = IFS = Things Evan shouldn't spend money on. :D

seriously large aneurysms

This is why pre-SAS I never removed my front sway bar.

So you lift a tire here and there, that's what the rear locker is for:D
DSCF0843.jpg

How about a SOA/SUA setup. Run SUA with 31's until you're headin' offroad. Then swap to SOA and 35s. :cool:

i had to replace the hub assembly 7 times in total. 4 times driver side and 3 passanger... along with 2 outter tie rod ends on driver side. My hub assemblys on both sides went out about 3 weeks ago and i've been working on a SAS/SOA ever since!

i say go sas... the IFS is a money pit if your gonna wheel it!

i say go sas... the IFS is a money pit if your gonna wheel it!
The SAS is also a huge money pit initially and can still break parts when wheeled :D

yeah, you got me... im finding that out pretty quick.

Well, I have been pondering SAS, but its still my DD, I can't afford another vehicle at this point. I know many people say they DD their SAS'd rigs, but its a short time thereafter they get a 4cyl car.

Plus I tow a 5k trailer fairly often. I don't know how a solid front would affect that.

The only way I would do it is if I could find a D44 Rubicon front axle, I could retain ABS and my wheels. A Rubicon axle would be $$$$$

I'm trying to sell my DD. When I do the explorer will become the DD again for a while. I have no problems driving it daily. Jefe did for x amount of years, Stic-o still does etc...

I have drove mine for over a year with the sas. I even drove it 600+ miles to go to badlands for a EF run. I get around 16 miles to the gallon now so its not so bad.

Lets focus on whats going to get fixed adn how it will happen. He doesnt want to SAS it. I just want to follow this because I have the same lift and so does ray lobato(who also broke a passenger side CV). I wonder if its a superlift trailmaster issue

:)

Good point, Premier- I don't want to turn this into an SAS thread just yet. My IFS has served me well for two years with the exception of this trip.

Superlift now includes a set of limit straps with their kits: I wonder if they have recgonized a problem?

I'll bet they have. I snapped Karol's front axle housing immediately after I did the Superlift install. I believe we over flexed it, the CV bound up and took the axle housing with it...

axle1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back