Mountainnergreen's Mounty Buildup Worklog | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mountainnergreen's Mounty Buildup Worklog

Update

Since my last post a few things have happened. I bought a lift kit that I will be installing and I bought a 4600# dry weight camper. New Jayco 23 FB. I really like it. I had to upgrade a few things to pull it. I had to install an electric brake controller, a 7 prong RV plug, and a 7500# capacity hitch. I put the plug flush mount on my bumper by cutting a huge hole in it. It about made me sick to do so but it had to be done. Ill post pics ASAP of the new hitch, camper, plug and lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mountaineergree said:
Since my last post a few things have happened. I bought a lift kit that I will be installing and I bought a 4600# dry weight camper. New Jayco 23 FB. I really like it. I had to upgrade a few things to pull it. I had to install an electric brake controller, a 7 prong RV plug, and a 7500# capacity hitch. I put the plug flush mount on my bumper by cutting a huge hole in it. It about made me sick to do so but it had to be done. Ill post pics ASAP of the new hitch, camper, plug and lift.

What kind of lift kit did you buy? Interested in how towing is with the kit installed. You will have to let me know. I am interested in purchasing a camper, just not sure of how it will be towing and lifted, might be worse for me since mine is a sport.

-Rich

Here is my new hitch and plug set up- ignore the dirt, its been really dry lately!

lift_001_Medium_.jpg

And in case your wondering, I did cut a big hole in my bumper to put that plug in :eek:

lift_002_Medium_.jpg

And the mods continue..........

I did a transfer case swap to get 2wd, 4wd, and 4low. Im loving the extra fuel mileage and power by being able to drive in 2wd.

My thread on the swap is here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726

The lift kit is on hold for now. Now that I have the different case, a custom driveshaft can be made much easier eliminating the need for the superlift shaft. I need a few brackets to install the kit, but I must wait until I have a different tow vehicle for the travel trailer. I don't think the lift will help any with towing. Or would it??

trucks_010_Medium_.jpg

throw in a dana 60 rear...that should help with towing.

right now you sit pretty level and that is a plus its better for the tongue to be higher then lower IMO. im subscribing, I like the changes you have made/make and your right ups.

big thumbs up here.

mountaineergree said:
Im not really worried about the 8.8. What I don't know about is how the added height will affect my ability to control the weight behind me.

When i was stock i had about 500 poumnds of luggage and other crap with me when the family went to the airport for a vacation....stopping was a biatch. Just recently in the summer, i loaded the mountaineer with 1300 pounds of brick in the back and accross the fold down seats. Acceleration was good, but again brakes.

Well brakes are not an issue with the electric brakes on the travel trailer. I can stop pretty much as I please using them.

I got to checking into installing the lift today and here is what I have found-

The four cross member drop down brackets are ruined, I tried to straighten one with a torch and hammer. I got it straighter but the metal started to crack, so they have to be replaced.

I am missing one diff drop bracket, I can fab one or have to buy one.

I need shocks which will cost $140 plus.

I need sway bar links which I think I can fab up.

I got screwed on the whole thing. The guy who sold me the lift never filed a claim with FedEx. I will never see any of the missing parts. (driveshaft) I paid that SOB $245 for what I have now, plus sent him a stock driveshaft that cost me $50. Now I need $300+ to complete the kit. I ought to kick him in the nuts.

The good news is I don't need the driveshaft anymore, the transfer case swap will allow me to run the F150 driveshaft. If it has problems, I can get a double cardian setup much easier.

When I can talk the wife into letting me spend the money, I will buy the stuff I need to install this thing. She would stroke out if I dropped another couple of hundred all in one month!

Well after some debate amongst myself, I have decided to give the superlift a whirl, even with needing to tow. I hope this doesn't affect my ability to handle the weight of the travel trailer. I had to build some of the brackets that the guy that had the lift before me bent and one that fed ex lost. I hope to install this Wednesday if all goes well. My brackets I built:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167063

mountaineer where is ur exhaust at now. I didnt see them in the pictures and do you got any sound clips of it.

Sams01XplrSprt said:
mountaineer where is ur exhaust at now. I didnt see them in the pictures and do you got any sound clips of it.

My exhaust is a muffler dumped just before the rear axle. The muffler is a cheap turbo muffler. The dynomax I had was too loud with the headers and didn't have enough back pressure. And the tailpipe I had bent was so crappy anyway, I just scrapped the whole thing and dumpped the muffler. I dont have any sound clips, but could probably come up with some.

hows the superlift bracketry goin?

Superlift Done!

I finally got the Superlift done. I made my own drop brackets because the ones I got were so bent out of shape. It all went pretty well overall and the different driveshaft from the BW4406 swap works great. I don't have to drop the big money for a custom driveshaft.

Updated Pictures after a wash:

superliftdone_005_Small_.jpg

superliftdone_003_Small_.jpg

ride looks tight as hell man. for sure. I need to join this click. drive a 98 mounty and just turned 130. Rides like a dream, well as I keep the dream going, anticipating a front left cv shaft replacement which sits in the back waiting to go in. Grr. oh well. Anyways, your ride is tight man for sure, and i Am feeling the wheells, wonder how those would look on a 2 inch dropped mounty hmmmm anyways, ciao...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice. Your front seems to flex pretty well. Disconnect the front sway bars and lets see some real flex :D

Back