Mountainnergreen's Mounty Buildup Worklog | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mountainnergreen's Mounty Buildup Worklog

[QUOTE='97 V8]Very nice. Your front seems to flex pretty well. Disconnect the front sway bars and lets see some real flex :D[/QUOTE]

I am going to do that soon. It seems though that the shocks are almost too short now. They are nearly bottomed out at ride height. I dont have any driveablity problems, but Im sure they limit flex. I have some stud extenders I may put on there to see.

And the rear would flex more but the third shock was still hooked up. It is almost bottomed out at ride height as well, but I dont know how it will drive without it. I still have to use mine for towing a 4600 lb travel trailer, so I have to keep some things in place for now. Once I have another tow rig, like a F150 supercrew, all bets are off on the Mountaineer. I figure it will see glass fenders, TT, SOA and possibly 35's!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ditch the 3rd shock. there is one guy on this forum that swears by it and nobody else notices the difference. once you put some lockers on(let me recomend NOT getting No-Slips, although i seem to be the only one that has problems with em), your beast will be a total sleeper on the trails.

Its time to update the Registry..... Ive been kind of busy lately-

Instead of copying info over, Ill direct you to my threads

I built a front hitch and removed the "Safari Bar" in order to be able to use it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169514

work_060_Small_.jpg

I painted my chrome grill and front bumper using the ole rattle can method: It came out nicely

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170532

paint_grill_bumper_021_Small_.jpg

Update Time-

I have a shackle tow point coming for my front hitch, got it off of Ebay for $23 I am thinking of putting it in and leaving it up front, I think it may look cool.

I got a tow rope / recovery rope to carry around for the winter months, I figure someone may need some help if it ever snows in my part of the world. It never hurts to have your own tow strap. Its 2"x30' with loops sewed on both ends.

Attachments

• towpoint.jpg
    towpoint.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,016
  • towstrap.JPG
    towstrap.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 983

Update-

Got the sliders done and installed, am happy with the results-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173649

sliders_done_005_Medium_.jpg

sliders_done_013_Medium_.jpg

Removed the third shock today from the rear end, it only had about 1.5" before it was bottomed out, so it was definitely limiting flex. I can't tell any difference without it.

Update:

Added bars to serve as tube steps and some more side body protection-

sliderbars_003_Medium_.jpg

sliders_done_006.jpg

sliders_done_007.jpg

The inverter is too small to pull multiple outlets. I may put one in the back later, but it will be much bigger so it can run power tools and such.

I am going to upgrade alternators when mine craps out, Ive got too many electrical acessories! A deep cycle battery or optima is in the works too.

Damm your truck looks good!

Thanks!

XM Radio stuff will be here Monday. I plan to custom install the antenna on my roof, possibly drilling a hole and running the wire between the headliner and roof skin for a very clean install. I'm at the point now where one more hole or modification won't hurt anything.

Tube outer bars for my sliders will be in a few weeks, the guy with the bender is really busy, which is a good sign.

dude stop moving so fast I cant keep up! Awesome choice of mods IMO, truck is sooooo clean

I have two errr like 14 projects.
Currently I am working on the cage design for the BII and drawings for a shed/workshop in the back yard.
Of course the expo will get a new front end (153K miles, thinking Doxon bros) the vacuum disco front IFS, 4.10's, and paint
The boat is getting custom front cushions and a thru hull ballast system, plans are in the works for a swim deck also.

Anyone need a slightly used swing set?

Thanks for the compliments!

It seems that I can't stop with the modifications. I guess having free time and the tools to work with makes it too easy.

I almost forgot- I added a skid plate/splash guard to my front hitch to replace the plastic thing that I removed. I also braced the hitch to add some protection for the lower radiator.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169514&page=2

spash_shield_013_Medium_.jpg

I am going to try to keep this updated with all of my mods so I can keep up with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved my sending unit today for my transmission temperature gauge from just before the cooler to the pan for more accurate readings. I used a B&M drain plug adapter, drilled a hole in the side of my pan and put in the sending unit. Temperature reading on the way home was 100 deg. F. , the temperature outside was 45 F.

Pictures-

temp_sensor_trans_003_Medium_.jpg

temp_sensor_trans_001_Medium_.jpg

Gas tank and transfer case skid plates installed today-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175349

skid_plates_014_Medium_.jpg

skid_plates_009_Medium_.jpg

Back