Mounting a Warn X8000i behind the bumper of a '99 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounting a Warn X8000i behind the bumper of a '99

mav

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Has anyone with a '95 or newer Explorer tried to mount a Warn X8000i winch hidden behind the bumper? I've got a '99 EB 4x4 Explorer with a Manik grill guard. I had the local 4x4 shop mount the Winch to the center bar on the grill guard. Unfortunately when I went out to field test the winch, it pulled the grill guard out a little. I've seen that Warn makes a hidden mounting kit for the F-150's and Expeditions. I mounts right behind the front bumper. If anyone can be of help I would really appreciate it.

------------------
'99 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4x4
4.0L SOHC V6
265/75-R16 BFG KO's
Edelbrock IAS Shocks
K&N Open Element Air Filter
Bosch Platinum 4+
Dual 40 Series Flowmasters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is no kit for the explorer :-( i have a 95 with a manik also. i am interested in your set up. you can get a front mounted trailer hitch and mount it on that. i think that is what i am going to have to do

Performance Products.com has a Front Bumper Hidden Hitch for $101.70. I think this is the cheapest that I have found one. Just waiting for $$$$ to order. Part/ref# 2674
Hidden Hitch is the company. It's a Class 3 w/ 2" receiver mount. Hope this helps.

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 AWD
KKM Tru-Rev with Homemade Ram Air
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
Prestige Platinum 750a-APS alarm w/ remote start
Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
More to Come Before Summer :)

I was reading through a current JCWhitney catalog and found an ad for a Hidden Hitch front mounted ClassIII hitch to fit the 95-99 Explorers (exc. Limited) w/300 lb tounge weight for $83.95. The part number in the catalog is 55HB5717Y (just have to tell them your year, make and model of SUV. They also have a bunch of accessories for it which include: winch mount adapter, spare tire adapter, service step, license plate holder and a skid plate (don't know if that would work with the Explorers or not). I looked on their website but did not find this stuff there. It looks like it is only available in print. Good luck.

------------------
mike fox
95 XLT 4D 4X4
Dynomax cat-back exhaust
Vent shades
Sony deck and 10 disc changer
Gabriel VST shocks
Torsion twist
Longer shackles (Pep Boys $15.00 brand)
Westin Safari bar up front (just need some lights now)
http://www.geocities.com/explorer4x4_95

Future mods:
Modified MAS
Headers (maybe:if I can convince the wife)

Hey Mav,
I do know that Ramsey makes a euro style brush guard/winch mount for the 99-2000 Explorer. Most of it is made by Waag then Ramsey puts the rest together to make it heavy duty and adds the winch mount. Not cheap, but looks just like the Waag bush guard, only with a winch.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Thanks alot for your suggestion Ray! I checked out both web sites and the products look very promising! I'm going to contact both Waag and Ramsey tomorrow and see if they can help me out in any way. I went to Southtexas Outfitters today, and they were somewhat helpful. They're looking into some possible custom fabrications. They're playing with the idea of the hidden mount behind the bumper. We are also looking into re-enforcing the existing Manik Grill Guard. I may get fed-up with both of these ideas and dump my brand new winch. Anyone want a Warn X8000i winch and Manik wrap around grill guard? Wish me luck...

------------------
Wes Ulmer
4.0L SOHC V6
265/75-R16 BFG KO's
Edelbrock IAS Shocks
Bosch Platinum 4+
Manik 4x4 Grill Guard
Warn X8000i Winch

Thanks alot guys for all the replies. I'm just really pissed with Manik and Warn. I went to Southtexas Outfitters to see if they could make me a couple custom bracket to mount the winch hidden behind the bumper. I'm not sure if it's gonna work, but I'm gonna give it a shot... I'll let ya'll know if I can get it done.

------------------
Wes Ulmer
4.0L SOHC V6
265/75-R16 BFG KO's
Edelbrock IAS Shocks
Bosch Platinum 4+
Manik 4x4 Grill Guard
Warn X8000i Winch

Back