Mounty71's 4x4 Long Travel Build | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounty71's 4x4 Long Travel Build

My pride and joy, the Mounty:

IMG_3596.jpg

F4EC8611-6F85-45F1-B7B1-253AE96A4719_zpsaqxtchzb.jpg

355435F5-497C-455C-89ED-393DDFAA3F8D_zpsdctggjkj.jpg

Video:

It's a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer. I acquired this fine vehicle in 2003 with just 32,410 miles on the ticker, and it was in pristine condition, having been driven by an elderly couple, and always serviced regularly at the same dealership it was delivered to from the factory.

This thing has gone through a series of different suspension setups, but currently it has:
Solo Motorsports 4" extended D35 TTB with D44 outers, and custom radius arms
2.5x12" King coilovers with 2.5x12" secondary King reservoir shocks
4WD conversion with BW4406 manual transfer case
2.5x18" rear King shocks outboard of the frame
custom ordered Deaver leaf springs with 12" 2AM Fab shackles
Full-width 8.8 rear with stock disc brakes, Blue Torch Fab diff cover/truss
4.56 gears front and rear, lunchbox front locker, limited slip rear
roll cage through dash and firewall to engine cage

(previous front suspension setup)
Long Travel front end 5" wider per side with 2.5x8" Sway Away coilovers, Dixon Bros. shock hoops
2.0x2" King bumpstops
Full heim steering
3" Procomp lift spindles
homemade lower rear A-arm crossbrace, lower A-arm mount weld-washers, upper A-arm gussets
8" limit straps
removed swaybar

(performance)
MAC performance muffler with turn down tip
MAC performance intake

(exterior)
front bumper with removable light bar, with 4 Hella 4000 55w HID conversions
custom rear receiver and swing out spare tire carrier w/ gas can
clear corners
McNeil fiberglass fenders
removed running boards
5.0 emblems
color-matched grill surround with mesh grill
clear LED light in rear bumper

(random)
ABS defeat switch
Icom race radio
recovered center console in black
fog lamp-hi beam mod
added tie-downs in cargo area
rear hatch interior handle
4x4 Ranger front towhooks
driveshaft "loop"

COMING NEXT
3-link rear suspenion
add 2.5 or 3.0x18" King bypass shocks to the rear
switch front smooth body shocks for 2.5 or 3.0x12" King bypasses
rear fiberglass
35s

_MG_8695.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

Picture019.jpg

mounty007mt7.jpg

mounty027pb0.jpg

Newly lifted on 31 BFG M/Ts:
004_1Aracedezert.jpg

003_0Aracedezert.jpg

After its first offroading:
Mountaineer20and20Explorer20008.jpg

Mountaineer20and20Explorer20010.jpg

Almost stock:
Mountaineer20and20Explorer20003.jpg

Mountaineer20and20Explorer20002.jpg

Mountaineer20and20Explorer20001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmmm if it was mine i would have left it alone. BTW what happen to the lights?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

hmmmm if it was mine i would have left it alone. BTW what happen to the lights?

I still have the lights, i just take them off for daily driving so i don't risk getting them stolen.

Update:

Gave the truck a facelift this weekend.

Went from this:
P1020580.jpg

And this:
P1020581.jpg

To this:
P1020583.jpg

And ended up with this:
P1020594.jpg

P1020596.jpg

It took way longer than expected...about 2.5 days, and the results are only decent looking up close. It looks better from far away. But i'm still happy that i finally got it done, i've been talking about painting the grill to match the body color since i got the truck 7 years ago, and decided to cut out the vertical bars after seeing NYmount21's grill. Maybe one day i'll have it painted and the mesh part done professionally.

And hopefully in the next week or two i'll have another update that i'm very excited about. :)

I like it! :cool:

still looking for chrome wheels or stick with the black for now ?

Just gonna stick with what i have for now. Now that the grill is no longer chrome, there's no chrome at all on the truck except for the emblems on the hatch.

...As much as I like chrome, that looks Hot...Nice job Matt...:biggthump

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone, i love the overall look of it even though it wasn't the best quality of work. I was sitting behind a truck in the drivethru the other day and couldn't stop looking at my truck's reflection on the tailgate. :)

Anyway, i may as well just disclose my plans...i was going to go pick up carlover's national leaf springs this weekend since his explorer is getting linked, but it looks like he might be hanging onto them for a bit longer depending on when his engine swap happens. I'm still planning to get them from him in the future, but it might just not be right away. I don't have money to buy longer shocks to match the springs anyway, nor the time to install them anyway since i might need to move the front spring hanger back an inch. Either way, i'm excited to finally get some real suspension under this thing!

Just kidding, talked to sean and i'm picking them up saturday. :D

When you get the right shocks in there let me know. I spent alot of time dialing in the valving and can tell you exactly what you need to make it work pretty good.

And moving the spring hanger forward will gain you more bump travel, with less negative spring arch which is key for explorers. Just make sure when you do this you cycle it, and cycle it, and cycle it some more to get a good front hanger location.

O whoops, thought you said move the front spring hanger back. Also, more than likely i will keep the shocks under the floor.

O whoops, thought you said move the front spring hanger back. Also, more than likely i will keep the shocks under the floor.

hahahahahahahahaha, yeah move it back..oppps my bad. some 10 or 12" revalvable shocks will do fine for what you will be doing with it. The front will be your limiting factor anyways.

hahahahahahahahaha, yeah move it back..oppps my bad. some 10 or 12" revalvable shocks will do fine for what you will be doing with it. The front will be your limiting factor anyways.

Haha, ok, moving it back made more sense to me anyway considering what we discussed about the driveshaft. And hopefully sometime in the not-so-distant future i will be scoping the classifieds for some 10-12" shocks. And then building a tire carrier to keep the spare out of the trunk. And then 8" shocks for the front. And then....oh god...

Haha, ok, moving it back made more sense to me anyway considering what we discussed about the driveshaft. And hopefully sometime in the not-so-distant future i will be scoping the classifieds for some 10-12" shocks. And then building a tire carrier to keep the spare out of the trunk. And then 8" shocks for the front. And then....oh god...

a 2.5 8" in the front, and 2.5 10 or 12 in the rear valved right would surprise you. it wont be long travel smooth but you can carry some speed and be pretty capable.

Yup, i'll be looking for 2.5s. At that point the suspension will be done for a very long time.

let me know when you get them. Since i ran a similar setup for awhile ive already got all the valving figured out for you hahaha.

I already planned on it. :) I'll give you a call in about 10 years.

Back