Mouse ate wires in engine compartment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mouse ate wires in engine compartment

dub13

Reaction score
City, State
OKC
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Looking to see if anybody knows what component these missing wires go to. I keep the explorer parked in the driveway and the damn mice decided to make nests throughout and ate these wires.

20180511_194257.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coolant Temperature sensor that goes back to PCM.

Need to buy some mouse traps or a pet snake...

BTW, it looks like they did a damn fine job there too......

Gnawed down nearly exactly the same in height. Better than I could do with my wire cutters....

Looking to see if anybody knows what component these missing wires go to. I keep the explorer parked in the driveway and the damn mice decided to make nests throughout and ate these wires.
In the Missouri Ozarks, we had similar problems, but on a bigger scale: Packrats. Once, a plug wire chewed nearly through, hung on by insulation, the spark caught the insulation, coil wire endcaps, and finally, the plastic intake manifold on fire. Fortunately, the plug wire fell into 2 pieces, engine began misifiring, I pulled over, saw smoke, put it out in time. Could have cost the entire vehicle! The rats actually chewed clean through a battery cable on my F-150!

Locals back there leave their hoods open when the car is to stand more than an hour or two. They swear the rats will not go in under an open hood. If rain was expected, they propped them open a foot or so with sticks. I dunno, never tried it, but costs nothing to try.......imp

Imp is correct re. the yellow arrow. Not sure about the yellow circle, though. I've been able to order connectors from various places to fit Ford (maybe RockAuto, or dealer?)--e.g., just the connector end with 6 inches of wire and crimp barrels/insulators for splicing. Damn mice even ate through my aluminum coolant line!

Back