Moving up from a 2000 EX. Any bad thing's to look for 2003-2006? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moving up from a 2000 EX. Any bad thing's to look for 2003-2006?

stretchman

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4x4
Totaled my 2000 explorer and before that my 1998 explorer. Neither my fault just Seattle traffic. Would like to move up to a 2003-2006. Any years to avoid or things to watch for? Thanks for any help. Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same ****ty V6 SOHC engine. '02's were know for transmission failures. IDK about the '03's. The early 4.6 V8's had problems with spark plugs breaking during removal (2-piece spark plug) later Ford switched to a one-piece spark plug which eliminated the problem. There's a special tool to deal with broke plugs.

I plan on avoiding that generation of Explorers when time comes to replace mine. Have heard nothing but negatives; primarily about the transmissions and, of course, the SOHC's. It has been said that '02 was the absolute low point for Explorers. Would advise you proceed cautiously and do your homework.

I plan on avoiding that generation of Explorers when time comes to replace mine. Have heard nothing but negatives; primarily about the transmissions and, of course, the SOHC's. It has been said that '02 was the absolute low point for Explorers. Would advise you proceed cautiously and do your homework.

Yes, carcomplaints.com rated the '02 Explorer the "Worst of the Worst". They didn't think much of the '06's either. My issue with this site is that they don't differentiate between the V6 and V8 engines/drive trains.

Ford Explorer Problems

I have an ‘02 XLS, 129K V6 SOHC and have no complaints for a vehicle of this mileage.

The PO took exceptional care of it, it came with a 1” thick binder of service receipts.

Sure, the 4.0 SOHC has it’s issues, as well as the 5R55S/W trannies, but knock on wood, mine runs like a beast.

When I got the X, I found it had a broken rear spring, bad rear wheel bearing (both common across all X’s of these gens) and the front upper ball joints were shot. Changed everything in my driveway with my son in law over a weekend.

I guess my point is that a 15 year old vehicle is going to have it’s faults. With the 3rd & 4th Gens the big ones are the timing chain tensioners on the 4.0 SOHC & tranny servo bores.

When the timing chain tensioner fails there will be a noticeable chain rattle at startup. If you test drive a V6 have the owner start it up with the hood open.

Thanks, that what I needed to hear, Guess I will save a little more and move on up to a 2007 plus. I have had such good luck with my ex's that I want to keep on driving them, R Thanks, Bill

Back