• Register Today It's free!

MP3 Head Unit

MDCSoft

Reaction score
City, State
Brookline, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer Sport Trac
I have a '97 Mountaineer with the JBL system. I am happy enough with it, but I'd like to add the ability to play MP-3 files on CD-R discs. There are plenty of head units out there that'll do that, but I want to find the one that will install with a minimum of hassle, and will work with my factory speakers and sub. I know I'll lose my factory CD changer, but I'm not worried about that. Other than MP-3 ability, I would like to improve my AM/FM reception. Can anyone recommend anything for me?

Thanks!
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im gettin my jc sh99 today in the mail so onece i get it installed ill let you know

also, why wont you be able to use your factory changer anymore??? do they not have rca hookups?

Some possibilities from Crutchfield

Crutchfield has a bunch of units that they claim will fit. However, I'm concerned about this free factory-amp-bypass-kit. Will I always be bypassing the factory amp?

Here are the ones I'm leaning towards. I want to keep the total under $300, if I can:

Aiwa CDC-MP32
Kenwood KDC-MP8017
Blaupunkt San Jose

(Those URLs may not work. If not, just search on the model name.)

Any opinions on these options?

I did a lot of looking before I decided on the JVC KD SH 99 HU.

Take a look at Dead Link Removed for information on this unit.

I have had it since Christmas and love it; have had zero trouble with it .

Good luck....

Attachments

• kdsh99-1a.jpg
    kdsh99-1a.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 261

No Longer Available

According to Crutchfield, that JVC model is no longer available. Plus, it's a bit out of my price range and has more features than I care about.

My two cents.

In my opinion, only a moron would buy anything directly from crutchfield. It's a good place to find what you want, but once you've done that you should buy the item on EBAY. I've found you can get most items new for half of the price and other items at 1/3 of the price crutchfield asks. So don't think something is out of your pricerange b/c of that company.

Joe:p

no reason to call names

but there is a point to be made....go on ebay and you can get a jvc sh99 for 275 plus shipping.....also, a lot of the people selling them have great reputations and ebay has insurance to help stop and prevent you from beign ripped off

i put mine in today and its sooooooooo sick..i love it, im not sure about the other 2, but the kenwood one that plays mp3's is pretty dope. if you absolutly have to go through crutchfield, id get the kenwood, but you may be able to find that same kenwood for like 50-100 dollars cheaper on ebay

i like the jvc more than the kenwood, i was saying since crutchfield doesnt have the jvc, and if you are gonna buy from crutchfield...then id go for the kenwood

Re: My two cents.

Originally posted by JoeBlow2000
In my opinion, only a moron would buy anything directly from crutchfield. It's a good place to find what you want, but once you've done that you should buy the item on EBAY. I've found you can get most items new for half of the price and other items at 1/3 of the price crutchfield asks. So don't think something is out of your pricerange b/c of that company.

Joe:p

In my opinion, you can eat me :bounce:
oh.. thats coming from a "moron" that bought from Crutchfield.

I could be a moron, or I could just like the fact that they have an excellent service rep. I could just like the fact that theres tech support to help me with my first install, or I could just like the fact that they helped me figure out what I need to install the HU. But hey, Im just a moron whos trying to get started learning about car audio

:rolleyes:

If you care much about sound quality...there's a new Alpine MP3 player that just hit the shelves. It's the Alpine CDA-7894 (or the CDA-7995 which is a different color but $50 more). The 7894 is about $400 however it's virtually the SAME mp3 player Alpine sold last year for $800. Aside form the $400 markdown this years model also has "Media Expander" technology. This is the first receiver to have this technology...it "gives you selectable expansion modes for MP3, CD, DVD, FM and XM that restore quality lost in recording/transmission." I'm gonna get this one as soon as my local shop gets it in stock and I'll tell you how I like it. I will tell you that it does add a lot to MP3's...a lot that I didn't even know I was missing. This is kinda expensive but well worth it if you're into SQ.

Re: My two cents.

Originally posted by JoeBlow2000
In my opinion, only a moron would buy anything directly from crutchfield. It's a good place to find what you want, but once

Opinions are like a rear orifice, everyone has one and most of them stink....

I reckon I am a multi=moron since I have purchased much from Crutchfirld over the years, and will continue to purchase from them.

There are a lot of Great way to keep the price down. Shopping online will help you save money. Cruthfield has Great customer service but you pay extra for that service not to mention the best install kits. I am the type of person that will hunt for the best price and service if needed. If I dont need any service I will hunt for price alone. So lets not get in to a fight about who is a moron... Yes I have bought from Cruthfield... But I might not next time.

While we're on MP3 head units, has anyone heard anything about Panasonic's DFX572?? Crutchfield is the only place that has it so far but the specs look really good. 25W x 4 RMS, 3 preamp outs, AUX inputs, and a wireless remote. Unless I hear anything bad about it I think I'm going to use it for the base of my system.

The Mach 240 is pretty good for a stock system but I think Infinity Kappa Components in the front and Kappa 5x7s in the back powered by a 75wx4 amp and a 12" Perfect sub powered by a 300w amp will be much better.... :D

You guys should also think about the Pioneer p740mp, p840mp and p940mp. they are 3 great units. The 740 is out now, the other due out soon.

I have the Kenwood KDC-MP8017 and i have absolutly nothing bad to say about it. i love it, it is a great brand with a great unit. It has all the features that you could want and it sounds great. I can just pop in one disc and be set for a week. I have one CD-MP3 with over 200 songs on it. If i finish the cd, then i just start over cuz it has been awhile since i heard the beginnign. As far as the JVC, i like that a lot too. I have a friend who put it in his MR-2, they both seem reall great. The one thing that the JVC has that the Kenwood doesn't is that the JVC has motorized tilt and motorized flip down face and stuff, i think that is really cool, i like motorized stuff.....makes things easy. But, I still would go for the Kewood, very easy to use and has not let me down, i can put the most scratched up disc in and it wont skip a beat.....

Prices

Tell you what - The few that replied can keep paying Crutchfield 2-3x what I get my equipment for and I'll keep buying on ebay :p By the way - all my stuff comes with warranties also. Don't be bitter b/c you paid more :eek:

Joe

there ya go...when i got my Kenwood....it was selling for like $450 on Crutchfield....then i went ot Ebay...and got it at my door for 285. The infinity kappas i have were going for 149 on Crutchfield...got them for 89 at my door....beat that...internet is always cheaper

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back