explorer82184

Reaction score
City, State
plano,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
Ok Here is what I own...

2001 sport auto 37k miles

Recently, without any change in my driving style, my mileage has dropped from 17-18 mpg to 14-15. Since the tank on my explorer is so small I'm only getting like 250 miles per tank which is frustrating! I would like to get back up to the 300 range.

So anyway I plan on changing the fuel filter this week because I think it's time for that to be done.

The tranny and radiator were both flushed about 2 weeks ago.

What else would you suggest doing to get the mileage back up. Is it time for new spark plugs and wires at 37k?

Any help is appreciated and I tried searching on this subject but most of those things were with higher mileage explorers so I just decided to make my own thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You shouldn't need new plugs and wires yet, but you could pull one just to see what condition it is in. I would clean the air filter (or replace it if you don't have the cleanable type), clean the MAS, and maybe run fuel system cleaner through it for one tank. Are you getting any CELs? I can't imagine an FPR, TPS, or O2 sensor needing replaced already.

Try running high quality (Chevron or STP) fuel injector cleaner through 2 consecutive tanks. You may drop even more while running it, but after may gain some back.

Originally posted by B94Sport
You shouldn't need new plugs and wires yet, but you could pull one just to see what condition it is in. I would clean the air filter (or replace it if you don't have the cleanable type), clean the MAS, and maybe run fuel system cleaner through it for one tank. Are you getting any CELs? I can't imagine an FPR, TPS, or O2 sensor needing replaced already.

what is a CEL?

I will run the fuel injector cleaner on my next two tanks, see if that does anything.

CEL = Check Engine Light

oh!

well in that case no problems with that

How about cleaning the mass air flow sensor. That really helped out with mine

Reset your ECU, and see what kind of results.

How is your temperature gauge reading???? Is it reading near the middle, consistently?

The temp gauge is reading normal.

I replaced the air filter yesterday but found out that the fuel filter had been replaced under warranty so decided that does not need to be done yet. I also reset the ECU and am currently running fuel injector cleaner in my tank. Hopefully this all will help!

Thanks guys!

Also I cleaned the MAF not too long ago

Keep us informed. As you run through the tank with injetor cleaner, your mpg might drop a bit, but it should go right back up afterwards.

Back