• Register Today It's free!

MPG recently dropped- EGR code.

4X4 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Cleared EGR tube to manifold as suggested by mechanic. No change. Code reappeared. Replacing EGR (non electric) valve today. Any other suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dpfe sensor

make sure fuel filter is clean. that helps out alot of times

Hello all! I am also having a similar problem on my '94 XLT.

I have a '94 XLT with a CEL that has been on for some time now. I recently replaced the DPFE sensor with a duralast brand part from autozone. The CEL light went off after replacing the DPFE and it stayed off for about two weeks up until the other day the CEL came back on! This light has been driving me crazy for some time now and I am wondering if the autozone part may have been defective and/or I need to replace the actual egr valve itself. Should I only be replacing these parts with genuine motorcraft parts?

Does anyone know more?

Thanks

The non-Motorcraft DPFE's are fairly known for not lasting... I picked up a brand new Motorcraft DPFE on eBay the other day for $48 shipped

Great thank you! Do you happen to have the link for the exact ebay seller you ordered that from?

Oops- $53 shipped. Still cheaper than Rock or the parts houses...

I bought Tuesday, received Wednesday. (They weren't too far from me, but shipped the same day I bought) They're very good- I highly reccomend...

CLICK ME

Great little writeup in their auction:

NOTE: This is a plastic body sensor with an improved design for lower failure rate. It is the correct replacement for earlier aluminum body sensors as well as later plastic ones.
We have personally owned several Ford vehicles, including a Taurus, a Sable, and a Focus that the DPFE sensor failed on. Usually the failure starts with an almost imperceptible surge while cruising. Gradually it develops into an annoying surge and then the check engine light comes on eventually. Checking the code will usually reveal that you have a P0402. Other codes that may appear include P0401, P1400, and P1401. This problem was so bad for a few years that Ford actually put out a bulletin saying that if you had any of these codes and symptoms, don't even do any diagnosis, just replace the sensor!

The following is a short description of how a DPFE sensor works:

When OBD2 was introduced, the EPA said that we now have to be able to know if the EGR valve quits working and turn the check engine light on if it does. Ford chose to do this by installing a slight restriction in the tube that brings exhaust to the EGR valve. Now we all know from science class that when there is flow through an orifice, there is a pressure drop across it. So Ford installed a pressure sensor across the orifice - when there is flow because the EGR valve opened, the pressure sensor senses the flow and tells the PCM the system is working. That's why they call it a Differential Pressure Feedback EGR Sensor! Now, what do you think happens when you run hot exhaust gas into a little electronic sensor? It does not last too long - and that is why you are reading this!

Anybody can install it - no rocket science required! If you own a Ford with the DPFE it will probably fail - sooner or later - buy it for a spare! Compare at around $130 at most parts store - for an aftermarket part!

I will give this a try and cross my fingers hoping it will keep that CEL from coming back on! Thanks again

I swear this EGR has been driving me nuts, I've changed the pipe that goes from the EGR to the Exhaust manifold and now the green vacuum line broke (literally broke like plastic, I thought it was some sort of rubber) that connects to the EGR.
Now tomorrow I'm going to go get that line and order this DPFE sensor. I've had someone tell me that it wouldn't be the DPFE sensor and that I should clean the area where the EGR is connected to, that has a lot of carbon build up as well.
I already spent about $200 for the EGR and the tube, and still have the P0402 on, I can't justify spending all that much and not just buying another $50 part.
Hopefully that gets rid of it or else it's going to give me white hair already at the age of 21!

Also this is very informative website, http://www.focushacks.com/?modid=80&ht=DPFE Sensor and EGR Information
So DPFE is going to be replaced!

Back