Mpg? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mpg?

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 5.0
What kind of MPG's are you guys getting with your rigs? My '98 with 4.0L SOHC is only getting around 15 MPG which seems kinda low to me. I've had pickup trucks with V8's that get 15-16 MPG... Is this normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was getting about that too, and knew that was low.

I cleared some stored codes it had, and filled the tires up to about 38 (they were much lower than I realized) and Now i'm getting about 18-19 going 70-80 on the hwy

my 2010 with a 6 cyl gets 15 mpg. its sub 10k miles

15 mpg in winter is about right, mine got 17-18 in the summer and is down to 14 with winter blend fuel.

The V6 works hard to push these rigs. Add 4.10 gears and a brick profile, 4X4, you are probably looking mid to high teens on average (city/highway).

Physically, the force to overcome air drag at higher speeds I believe increases with the 4th power of velocity. Explorers are far from aerodynamic.

AWD V8, 146 on the clock, when it was warmer outside, I was a 50/50 mix getting 15.6 then for a while it was right at about 16.

Now im getting 13.5 on a good day. I was cruising at 65 on the highway, and pressed reset to see an instant reading, and it was only showing 15-16 which is terrible. I did it once when it was warmer and it jumped to 22, cruising at 75.

5.0 at 112,000 miles still gets 13-15 in the city and 19-20 on the highway.

'98 Sport 4X4 4.0 SOHC, get 17.5 with mixed driving right now, working on increasing that some more. It has 174,000 miles on it too!!

i'm anywhere from 14-17 as well....200k on my SOHC, completely stock. I do need to change my plugs, fuel filter, and check my tire pressure as well...maybe i'll grab an mpg or two. Then again, I do like to drive fast;-)

Back