• Register Today It's free!

Mpg

ronwc

Reaction score
City, State
Largo, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT
Just bought a 'new" 04 Explorer XLT last month. It is 4.0 XLT 2WD 3.73 17" wheels 106k miles. I'm coming from a 00 XLT that got 20MPG and never broke, sold it at 178k.

I really like the 04, looks, much more room, quiet, better ride, just overall nicer SUV. But really didn't like the MPG and was surprised just how bad it was. This first tank, all city was 13.8 very bad - second tank a little hwy 14.3 bad - by the third tank I changed the air filter (which didn't look dirty) and added a can of Seafoam - half hwy half city 15, at least getting better - after I ran the Seafoam thru the forth tank half city half hwy went UP to 18.8 MPG. I now realize that the injectors must have been at least partially clogged and were dripping fuel instead of spraying. I used to used Techron but now am sold on Seafoam. I'll post my fifth tank here when I refill, am expecting at least 17/18. BTW, I drive easy and use cruise.

If I can find a easy way to do the electric fan, I would like to do that next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, I drive very easy and use cruise.

Put your foot into it on occasion...the engine needs to be "exercised" from time to time to help keep everything cleaned out, too. Seafoam is good stuff. :thumbsup:

I just got mine last week and it says 12.2, Im easy on the pedal, i know it should do better then that...Ill try to see if i can reset it and I will add seafoam today and may be k&n filter, ill update later if mpg get any better

I just got mine last week and it says 12.2, Im easy on the pedal, i know it should do better then that...Ill try to see if i can reset it and I will add seafoam today and may be k&n filter, ill update later if mpg get any better

Something made a big difference in mine, the air filter may have helped a little, but I think the Seafoam cleaned the injectors. The pro0f will come in a few days when fill up again and see what my mileage is, like I said, I would be happy with 17/18 average.

It may have slipped your mind, change your fuel filter... Its like $8, and 10 minutes of your time. When I changed it on my taurus instantly from 12 mpg's (all highway + cruise at 70-75mph) up to 16mpg's
My 02 Explorer is running about 21ish right now, and I am gentle, on occasion I like to feel the power though!

Keep watching your gas mileage, part of it is just needing to learn how to drive the new vehicle fuel efficently.

ok, i added seafoam earlier today and i drove around for a while then I reset it on the on-ramp before i hopped on the freeway and drove for 5 miles on cruise @65 and i got 21.5 and I took it around town today and i never went lower than 20. I think the last owner did not reset it right...lol

Not trying to b dumb butt what's seafoam and what does it do exactly?

Not trying to b dumb butt what's seafoam and what does it do exactly?
http://www.seafoamsales.com/

I get pretty consistent 16.5-17.3 mpg between city and highway driving. When I put E-85 in I would drop to 12-14 mpg, but my last tank of gas I averaged around 16, and that is with having AWD.

I drove mine off the lot last Friday, I got 19.7 on the way home. Now short trips to town it's down to about 16.7. I guess it's a plus since my old F-150 never got much better than 15mpg.

Gas milage back down to 15.4 - I can see that I am just not ever going to get good gas milage with city driving, hwy over 18 I can live with. My next step is to install an electric fan. I'll let you know how that goes.

Has anyone put this stuff in the crank case? I am considering doing that so that my engine runs a little healthier. As well I was going to use the intake spray for cleaning the intake, but also planned on doing some into the gas. They have one you can run in your oil, and I considered doing that until my next change just because it can help clean the sludge. Anyone use this stuff for the crank case?

Here is some good info - http://www.seafoamsales.com/tech-info-gas-engines/

I have started using it recently in gas with good results, used to use Techron which helped some. The Techron is very good at fixing fuel guage issues. I have also have put some Seafoam in my IO boat motor oil to quiet lifters but haven't run enough to tell if helped yet.

I have put in my 90 civic probably once every 6 months(crank case + tank) just follow the instruction on the bottle...my civic is now over 230k and never had any issue...seafoam suppose to help clean up any carbon build up on your valves or valve seat etc when you put it into your crank case. I was once told not to use it because if it might lower the compressions coz carbon build up kinda help seal up any wear on your valve, valve seat etc...i think its BS, I will put some in my crank case soon before my 3k oil change, they dont recommend leaving it in the engine for a long time.

purpose of putting in the tank: is to clean your injectors
purpose of putting in the crank case: clean overhead
purpose of putting in thru the intake: it goes and clean the cylinder walls, pistons etc

I dont remember seafoam having an option to use thru the intake, but i know other products may need a special tool to control the drops of the cleaning stuff into the cylinders, WARNING - if u just pour it down the intake u may hydro lock your engine - use the recommended tool!

we did all 3 when I use to work for Sears, but i havent it to own car coz i dont have the recommended tool.

http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-3m-8960.html?site=google_base&gclid=CJCA1q6p_bICFUeRPAodLXcADg

I was once told not to use it because if it might lower the compressions coz carbon build up kinda help seal up any wear on your valve, valve seat etc...i think its BS,

I say BS on that too, I'd rather have a cleaned out engine than one that's sealed up with carbon buildup.

If it has 100k I would change ALL the driveline fluids. Tranny flush, t-case and both axles if it is a 4x4. When the stuff is old it can sludge up. I got a used Jeep for my daughter, changed the axle lube, and the first thing I noticed after was that the tranny upshifted faster. Swear-to-God.

Then do general tune-up stuff like plugs, you said air filter already, and fuel filter, maybe plug wires if they look original or brittle. Alignment can make a difference and cause drag even if it isn't pulling to one side. Tires make a difference. When I went from the OE all-seasons to all-terrains I lost 2 mpg. More rolling resistance.

While getting good gas mileage is always wanted, driving an explorer is just not going to get you that high mpgs that you are looking for...

I have a 2013 mustang gt and the first thing people ask me is about mpgs... Who cares is not what I bought the car for!

So I say do the things that will make it run better and have fun, don't worry about the mpg

While getting good gas mileage is always wanted, driving an explorer is just not going to get you that high mpgs that you are looking for...

I have a 2013 mustang gt and the first thing people ask me is about mpgs... Who cares is not what I bought the car for!

So I say do the things that will make it run better and have fun, don't worry about the mpg

I had a '91 mustang GT and with slight mods it would get 22-24 mpg all day long with the 2.73 rear end.

I had a '91 mustang GT and with slight mods it would get 22-24 mpg all day long with the 2.73 rear end.

On the highway I can get 22-24, which is 95% of my driving.. The other 5% I get about 16 mpg, and when I am filling up it usually is around the 18-19mpg mark... Now that I have the ex I will take the stang out on the weekends and get her fluids moving.. Keep the miles down

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it has 100k I would change ALL the driveline fluids. Tranny flush, t-case and both axles if it is a 4x4.

I would second having all your fluids changed but I would not recommend having your transmission flushed unless it has been done before, there have been horror stories from people who started having transmission problems after they had it flushed. I would just change the filter and fluid.

Back