Mr Cribb's 94 Extended cab Z71 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mr Cribb's 94 Extended cab Z71

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully no one needed to ride in the meat wagon.

Hopefully no one needed to ride in the meat wagon.
The offenders rode to the hospital. Don't know anything beyond that, nor do I care. I know they survived due to the airbags in the Ford.

I got the bumper tore off to assess the situation a little bit more. It's not as bad as it looks. I do need the obvious radiator support, two fenders, and a drivers inner fender.

My first aerostar didn't fare as well in its wreck. A 2005 Malibu pulled out in front of me, the only car on the road. It was sunset and they didn't have lights on so they got hit with my foot still on the gas. That car flew a good 15 feet knocking over a pregnant woman and her boyfriend on the sidewalk.

My first aerostar didn't fare as well in its wreck. A 2005 Malibu pulled out in front of me, the only car on the road. It was sunset and they didn't have lights on so they got hit with my foot still on the gas. That car flew a good 15 feet knocking over a pregnant woman and her boyfriend on the sidewalk.

I had a similar situation with this wreck, I never had time to get off the gas. No skid marks, no nothing. Just a straight smash into the Focus at 25 mph. They were traveling west, I spun them 180* facing east upon their stopping point, on a sidewalk at that. Fortunately no pedestrians were present.

THE REBUILD:
IMG_2305_zpspvdylcd6.jpg

IMG_2349_zps64m2sd3a.jpg

IMG_2350_zpsbpbrlq9k.jpg

NEW BUMPERS:
IMG_2360_zpsezxd6pqb.jpg

IMG_2403_zpsa6duto8o.jpg

NEW HOOD, NEW MIRRORS, CAB LIGHTS:
IMG_2403_zpsa6duto8o.jpg

IMG_2373_zps7qfjdia5.jpg

IMG_2409_zpszzy61mpw.jpg

I'd give you the right of way with that guard on the front of that truck.

Really digging the truck man!

Not a lot has happened with the truck. I upgraded the fuel pump and pressure spring in the throttle body. I put tailpipes back on the truck, because I got tired of the drone in the cab. I can hear myself think now.

IMG_3023_zpsf9naw5wl.jpg

IMG_3022_zps3zsnyqab.jpg

Finished the bed in bedliner:
IMG_2996_zpswxoryq0w.jpg

Drove the truck to my girlfriends house in eastern Missouri earlier this month, and I’m quite surprised how it drove.

Given all the power I have, keeping my speed between 60-65 mph, I’m getting 15.5 mpg. That’s not bad for a well built truck with 250 pounds of bumpers (combined weight) on each end.

I had the truck aligned in August after I replaced the steering gear box and steering shaft, it tracks straight down the road like it should.

Still no serious updates, I have relocated from NE Oklahoma to SE Missouri.

I have however gathered most of the pieces to do a 95-98 dash swap. That will be the next undertaking, my first Z71 was a 97 with the dash style I speak of, and I just really prefer it to the dated square dash I currently have. People will ask how come I didn't buy that style to begin with? Because 99% of those trucks were automatic, and I don't do automatics in trucks, so I took what I could get when I landed my current 5 speed truck, plus my late grandmother helped buy the truck for me, so there's sentimental value there.

heck yeah the little dude is a helper!
I'm loving this truck and thread, thanks for sharing :)
FYI two gallons of Monstaliner with all the things needed to roll it on runs about $350, with the $$$ you put into Rustoleum or Duplicolor or whatever you can have Monstaliner

heck yeah the little dude is a helper!
I'm loving this truck and thread, thanks for sharing :)
FYI two gallons of Monstaliner with all the things needed to roll it on runs about $350, with the $$$ you put into Rustoleum or Duplicolor or whatever you can have Monstaliner

Yeah little man LOVES to be outside, I figure I will have him turning wrenches before long.

I hadn’t heard of monstaliner before, thanks for the tip. If I calculate all the liner material I bought, I might have $300- $350. I probably have two cans in the bed. The can in the picture wasn’t empty, so there’s still some left. I have brushed it all over my truck several times, over the years. The bottom is gloss black spray paint, and the grey is charcoal grey gloss rustoleum spray paint.

I got a little bit more done on Monday 3/18, I finally sorted out a parking light/ turn signal malfunction. I was getting power on the socket, but nothing on the turn signal side. Long story short, as this issue has plagued me for several months where weather and family activities have hindered progress, it was the junction point where they all tied together because it had corroded.

I love how simple it was to repair, the signal indicator was lit up on the dash as a clue but because i was getting power to the socket, I was thinking it was in something I had done when I wired up my dash swap.

I am really looking forward to driving this truck again, I haven't driven it since I started my dash project only a few little things to go and it will be done.

Update:

I drove it and forgot about how much fun it was to drive. Then, I noticed I had a couple issues: 1) a battery drain, so I fixed that with a cutoff switch. 2) another left side sidemarker light issue, so I sourced another light harness from a truck that doesn’t have them built into the wiring harness, known as the work truck package with the 5x7 single headlights.

Now to reassemble things and put them back together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back