Msupertek's making of the CANVAS TOPPER! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Msupertek's making of the CANVAS TOPPER!

Msupertek

Axle Annihilator!
Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4 Explorer
Ok here is what you need. Snaps, Scissors, and 17 ounce water proof canvas, Snap installer.

Here are the pics of my initial progress of cutting the material to match up and the snap tool and snaps I am using. Snaps are 5/8 Snaps. Tarp was 12x10. Left over material will cover doors and create some handles on the cage.

Topper1.JPG

topper3.JPG

topper4.JPG

topper5.JPG

topper2.JPG

Keep in mind once I cut the material to a perfect fit and add the snaps it won't droop because it will be pulled tight. The only thing left for me to purchase is some tubing insulation so that the topper isn't rubbing against the metal tubing. I'll be attempting to finish this by Tuesday evening. I'll keep pics up as I progress.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

subscribing.... I'm thinkin of makin my own topper too.... so you just bought big waterproof canvas tarps and sewed them together? or did you find one big enough to cover the entire area? also, are these type of tarps very readily available? Thanks
--Ryan

wow this truck looks awesome every time i see it i want it
great job

that looks like it will turn out very nice. :) cant what to see it all finished.

im gonna copy this come summer once the top gets chopped. :D

there are several types of fabric. I used the sunbrella fabric comes in several colors. Or you can also use army tarps. You can get the army tarps at the surplus store. I got my fabric at the fabric store, also can get it at an upholstery shop.

Is it Tuesday yet? Lookin good.

Dat looks awesome

Subscibing this project is getting better and better

http://www.tarps.com/canvas.htm

Above is the link to the site where I purchased the tarp. It was 10x12 inches. It is multiple tarps sewed to together. It was the thickest tarp I could find which is a 17 oz. It is water proof and when I was cutting it the canvas is stiched so well it does not fray or anything. It was basically like cutting vinyl however it was very tough. I attempted to cut it with a razor blade (box cutter) and could not cut it. I finally used a large sharp knife to make an entrance and purchased some pretty tough 9 inch scissors to cut it.

Price for Tarp $50.40, price for snaps and installation tool (42 buttons) $35.00

Just to give you and idea of the price.

I'll post more pics tomarrow....

Progress update pics.

topper7.JPG

topper6.JPG

That's lookin very good for homemade.... do you know if this type of canvas will change to weather condition?? ie...... shrink with cold and expand with heat?? if canvas even does that.

--Ryan

Damn
this makes me wanna go cut up my explorer.
Good work
I am tuned in till the end!

To be honest with you I don't know at what tempratures the canvas expands or shrinks but I have left some slack in the canvas. I am also covering the tubing in which it contacts with some foam type tubing covering. I figure if it shrinks it will just compress the foam and if it expands the foam will kinda take up some slack since its just compressed about half way. Looking at it now I don't think I'll be done today. I ran out of buttons because I decided to put a little more on then I had previously calculated so now I have to head to the store for more. I need to purchase another box of rivets. Then once I finish installing the buttons I'll which will probably be tomorrow I'll put another pic up of the semi finished topper. Then sometime between tomorrow and Saturday I am going to sew up some loose material. I'll be doing it by hand so this probably won't be done 100% until Sunday.:mad:

man if you keep up this good work ill have all kinds of new stuff to try for my self. great work

sweet looking work, ya can make me one for my bronco when I tube it out :p:
truck does look like a mil vech, sorta like a HMMWV someone hit with a pretty stick :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doors are not done yet but the Topper Is COMPLETE...

here it is.

T7.JPG

T11.JPG

T10.JPG

T8.JPG

T6.JPG

T9.JPG

T3.JPG

T1.JPG

Well it aint perfect but I personally think it come out alright. So far I got a lot of compliments at work.

Back